Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a night!!

Well: I wasn't going to observe tonight, partly feeling I was going round in a circle - but what a night. The best seeing since I've had my scope, even if my toes are complaining just this moment.

Once the scope had cooled, I got my best views ever of the Auriga clusters. This time in M37 at low power I certainly discerned the standout centre star: it seemed to me to flicker red-sliver, but it was dead on centre. M38 gave the best view I've had and looked the most impressive actually (M36 the least). I tried a couple of firsts: M44 in Perseus, pretty small but cute, and the beehive cluster - easily found & not to be mistaken. I thought I discerned the shapes of trianges at three points: but it's fairly bright.

Got an okay view of Mars too: not too much detail but pink-red colour clearly evident. I could not locate the Leo galaxies, but the constellation was low, so finished with a look at the rising moon.

Good for you Steve. I have never seen much detail when it came to Mars myself. I have just collimated my scope and hope that this will make a huge difference. I hadn's done it the last one the "God of War" was around and couldn't see the polar icecap at all!

Isabelle

It was a great night, Friday was ok but because the temp had changed from 13c to -3c it was hazey.But last night was crystal clear, We had some friends for dinner and they were treated to a spectacular display of M45 M42 Andromeda and numerous clusters and double stars. The moon even stayed away so an not to spoil the view. ( I asked it nicely !!)

Archived