Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Broke my 40D Usb Socket

ianaiken

My 1000D usb socket broke and I had great trouble getting it fixed undeer the guarantee as the service centre said that if the camera was used "tethered" the guarantee was invalidated. Fortunately I found another service centre who didn't query it and fixed the socket (which requires a complete new motherboard).

• 2 weeks later...

As this cam has been modded already and pretty much rendered usless for anything else than Ap could you not just open it up, work out the layout and go direct with the USB cable to the board?

Just a thought.

As this cam has been modded already and pretty much rendered usless for anything else than Ap could you not just open it up, work out the layout and go direct with the USB cable to the board?

Just a thought.

This was basically what I was getting at....

If it is JUST the socket then you just need to trace the d+ & d- lines 5v and GND and wire these to a USB in line socket. Job done

I'm getting someone with a fine hand to do some soldering to it somehow as I don't have the steady hands. Yeah its just the USB socket and its only for AP. He has spare USB sockets so I guess he just needs to find a nice spot on the board to solder it too.

I'm hoping the board comes out enough to give him good access. I haven't read up yet but I don't know if it comes out without exposing the CCD.

My cheapest quotes for repair was £260 so that was a no no...

check the pads and see what's actually damaged, if the pads are all still intact (probably not) then all you will need is a replacement usb socket (ebay) and someone with a steady hand, if not then it's a question of seeing if there is anywhere you can solder to for wires. If you can't repair it yourself and don't want to pay for a new board, you can still use it with a memory card and use a serial based bulb trigger.

Archived