Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another newbie :yawn:

Hi all,

After years of umming and arring I've finally decided to take the plunge and get myself a telescope.

Problem is I have no idea about what's good/bad. I have a budget of around £100 and hopefully want to be able to see close ups of the moon, maybe Saturn if its possible within that price range?

I came across this on Amazon:

Celestron Astromaster 114EQ: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Could someone tell me if its any good or point me towards a better one for a similar price?

Thanks! :(

Thanks for such a quick response.

Probably a silly question which I already know the answer too; Am I going to be able to see many DSO's on a clear night in outer west London, or will light pollution just limit me to the moon etc....

The Skywatcher is better than the Astromaster. The Astromaster has a focal length of 1000mm but the tube is about half that. The primary mirror is spherical and there is a corrector lens built into the focuser to correct for spherical aberations. A lot of people have found the RDF on the Astromasters useless. For about the same price as the Skyhawk you could get a Heritage 130P dobsonian or for a bit more the Skywatcher 130P.

Peter

The Skywatcher is better than the Astromaster. The Astromaster has a focal length of 1000mm but the tube is about half that. The primary mirror is spherical and there is a corrector lens built into the focuser to correct for spherical aberations. A lot of people have found the RDF on the Astromasters useless. For about the same price as the Skyhawk you could get a Heritage 130P dobsonian or for a bit more the Skywatcher 130P.

Peter

I fully recommend the Skywatcher 130P if you can stretch your budget a little further. First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

Or the heritage 130P Dobsonian: First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube

£100 isn't going to get you a great deal with regards to 'scopes. It might be worth saving a little to get something a bit better.

For a £100 starter budget I'd go for a pair of decent bins and a book/planisphere. You will get more value and enjoyment than a cheap bottom end scope which will prob still need further purchases such as eyepieces

For a £100 starter budget I'd go for a pair of decent bins and a book/planisphere. You will get more value and enjoyment than a cheap bottom end scope which will prob still need further purchases such as eyepieces

good advice, i was sceptical of people telling me to get binoculars,but once youve seen those nice wide views through them,they are great for observing. you could get some of those big 15x70 bins ,as well as a cheapish tripod to put them on.

15= your magnification. and 70= the apeture of the objective lens.

with that set up and a star map ,you'd be away.:(

Bins are excellent but if you live with bad light pollution I would go for the biggest scope you can get for the money. With the scope you will be able to see some great views of the moon,Saturn and more DSO's. I use my bins alongside my scope to help find things, or take the bins as a grab n go to a dark site.

Damn you people tempting me...

I've decided that if I miss a couple of Arsenal games I could push my budget up a bit.

At the moment its between the Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145p and the Skywatcher 130p with the 130p edging it.

Would you people say that the £50 difference in price is reflected in the quality of the telescope?

so... were doing you a favour then ,getting you to miss a few gooner games :( ( tottenham fan,sorry).

some might say the 150P dobsonian would be worth the saving for.

they are under £200 .

Sky-Watcher Skyliner 150P Parabolic Dobsonian Telescope#

this would be a scope that would not only last quite a while, but also has good resale value if you need to sell for any reason,your loss would be minimal. thats what id go ,unless the bino's seem a good idea.

Thanks for all your help peeps, for some reason bins don't appeal to me so I've decided to stick my notes on a Skywatcher Explorer 130p.

Enjoy it whilst you can Rory, the Gooners are gonna get ya! :(

Thanks for all your help peeps, for some reason bins don't appeal to me so I've decided to stick my notes on a Skywatcher Explorer 130p.

Enjoy it whilst you can Rory, the Gooners are gonna get ya! :(

Good choice :o

Archived