Change Of Scope

SOMEBODY BEAT ME WITH A WET TROUT!!! Why did I even think selling my scope was a good idea!?!? :police:

I've just seen the ring nebula (M57)!!!!! :shock: I could make out a complete ring, not just a gray smudge but some actually ring shape!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What sort of finder are you using and do you have any guides to follow. A telrad transformed messier hunting for me. Works great with starry night and it's field of view indicator. Turn left at Orion is a great book if you want to stick with a finder scope. With a bit of study sussing out the constellations, a telrad and a dob you can soon be finding your way around quicker than with goto for the brighter targets at least.

Hi Dave sorry philip

Must totally agree with the apeture debate, I went from smaller to larger and the wow factor is what will keep me interested, weather is an A**e at times but i use that to plan what i fancy doing when the weather gets better. Seriously, stay with the 8" and if you go for a goto of sorts, get one of the 8" ones or above. What are you studying at uni by the way, and instead of partying like all good students do, get your scope out and charge people to view through it, then hey presto youll be loaded. :police:

I am using the default one, 6x50 with a cross hairs. I use Stellarium to get some idea of where to look for them. I am looking to buy Turn Left At Orion. Many recommend it.

Maybe when my grant comes through I can buy myself a HEQ5 and starve for a month :police::D I am going to study Computer Networks for 3 years. Good idea, wait til everyone is drunk then go collecting..... :D

SOMEBODY BEAT ME WITH A WET TROUT!!! Why did I even think selling my scope was a good idea!?!? :police:

I've just seen the ring nebula (M57)!!!!! :shock:

That's the stuff mate 8) Not too far away is M27 the Dumbell. You'll like that when the moon's outta th way and the sky's darker.

Sounds like we got a result anyhoo :D

Hi Philip

Glad your happy now i agree with the concept of the Telrad for the dob it will help no end (though you still need to know where to point it :police:)

You were happy seeing M57 and at present it does not get dark and has not since the 23rd May and the moon is out

try that agion when the moon is new and you have a clear sky and you will be supprised how much diffrent it will look this is one of those object you can get colour in on a good night. we have had that at castle heights on a number of occasions to our supprise though this was through 10 inches.

we have to wait until 22nd July for astronomical twilight (darkness) even then it is only for half an hour. We have to wait until september now before it is dark by 10pm.

i would say keep track of these objects each time you observe this will make finding them easier each time and each time go for something new as well thus building up your repature.

so as it now sound that you are having fun keep it up and see you soon

Grahame

I have only just looked into a telrad properly, not actually knowing what it was. Some DSO's arent naked eye visible so I feel it wouldnt be all that useful. I find that if I look through the finderscope with one eye and look up at the sky with the other, I can quickly and easily match the two up within seconds....

Philip,

Have you looked at creating a push-to system for your Dob?

Check out this link http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/937949/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1/vc/1

It looks fairly easy if you can find somewhere to print the circle and laminate it - I'm still struggling.

I bought the digital meter for £25 off ebay.

Brian.

What about the objects too faint to see through the finder scope? A Telrad and a star chart make star hopping a lot easier than an optical finder, it doesn't matter if you can't see the object through the finder as long as you know youre pointing at the right spot.

it doesn't matter if you can't see the object through the finder as long as you know youre pointing at the right spot.

Thats basically how I find some things, just get to a rough location and pan around with the 32mm until I get lucky! Unefficient, but I'm in no rush to see everything!! And you would be suprised how many times it has worked.

I will look at that link now, thanks BWB

Ermm, yeah.

BWB - You are really onto something with that link, looking in Stellarium I understand a little more about where things are / will be in the sky now. If I point the Azimuth point of 0' to North and put 2 bubble levels running at a right angle, I will be able to spot things quickly and make sure my mount is level.

One problem I see though, how would you see the scale in the dark? GLO-In-The-Dark?

Red Torch or LEDs sound good.

As I said I've only got the Alt scale working with my meter and I managed to find M57 - The Ring Nebula and M13 in Hercules in about 5 minutes by setting the Alt scale and a rough Az scale then sweeping.

Brian.

The advantage with a Telrad Philip is that it gives you circles that indicate scale - so star hopping is easier because you know how far to move. I must admit that buying a red dot finder (in my case a smaller version of the telrad) got me back into astronomy as at last I could find things! That said, you seem to be doing pretty well with the optical finder!

Keep it up (we're looking to go to CAS on Friday if its not raining - hopefully see you there :police:)

Helen

Any chance of some pictures of your scope BWB? This is a great and fairly cheap but effective idea.

As the finder is serving its purpose, I will not jinx my recent success. I will be going Friday too, weather permitting, be great to see you there Helen. Maybe some more advice on imaging? You seem to be getting good results.

Any chance of some pictures of your scope BWB? This is a great and fairly cheap but effective idea.

Philip,

So far all I have is the Digital Angle Gauge (for Alt reading) £25 from ebay. I use Stellarium to give me the Alt of an object and then basically scan left and right to find a recognisable group of stars, then hop to the object I am looking for.

The addition of an angle scale on the base will allow me to use the Az reading on Stellaium to get much closer - if not spot on with a 30mm eyepiece. I am trying to find somewhere that will print and laminate a 20" scale for me.

Photo of Angle gauge attached.

image.jpg

I basically used a spirit level to set it to zero, it then sits magnetically on my scope and shouldn't need resetting until I have to replace the battery. The only slight problem as mentioned is that it is difficult to read in the dark so I am going to rig up a mini red LED type torch thingymajigwatsit to help read it and the Az scale. The Cloudy Nights forum has loads of pictures of what people have done.

Brian.

Thanks for the info and pic BWB, thats a very clever device you got there.

I'm thinking about building my own dob mount, using the old way of adjusting altitude. I really dont like the variable clutch handles, its very hard to keep the scope balanced and still with the SLR fitted due to its weight.

Archived