Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good Books for Lunar Observing

Hi all,

After recently reading Patrick Moore on the Moon I've had a revived interest in Lunar observing. I was wondering what books would be good for information and reference. I've seen the Phillips Moon Observers Guide that looks quite good. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Sent using Tapatalk

I use this :-

Exploring the Moon Through Binoculars and Small Telescopes (Dover Books on Astronomy): Amazon.co.uk: Ernest Cherrington: Books

It's the only Moon book I have so cannot compare to any others. It is quite a few years old now but I still find it to be very useful on the occasions when I do lunar obs.

Its broken down into chapters for each day of the lunar cycle with a narrative to describe the main features. It also has a number of photographic illustrations that have been labelled to identify those features described in the text.

My only problem is that in my Dob I see a lot more detail than is shown in the book which can leave me a little confused. This is not so much a criticism of the book but an indicator that perhaps I need something more detailed now I have a larger scope (bought the book whilst I was still using a 60mm frac many years ago).

I'd also thoroughly recommend Sky & Telescope's Moon Map. It's a laminated fold-out sheet of the moon with all the features marked and referenced down the side - it's really useful for checking to see what you're looking at. The fact it's laminated as well is excellent as you don't have to worry about it getting damp/ruined when you're outside with it.

Here's the link to it on Amazon: Sky & Telescope's Moon Map, Laminated: Amazon.co.uk: Sky & Telescope, Sky Publishing: 9781931559195: Books. It does though seem to be out of stock with Amazon direct at the moment, and although it is offered by other resellers, I'd definitely recommend waiting until Amazon themselves have it back in - I bought mine about a month ago and paid £3.03 for it... slightly cheaper than the £15 the third party sellers are offering it for :(

(or you could buy the mirror-imaged version from this seller: Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Sky & Telescope's Mirror-Image Moon Map Laminated ... for £876.76 :o:eek::p )

Matsey :D

"The modern moon: a personal view" by Charles Wood

I own more than one hundred books on the moon and a huge amount of academic papers on the topic. For me the best for amateur observing is "The modern moon: a personal view" by Charles Wood Sky&telescope. Charles Wood is a retired lunar geologist, writer of the Lunar 100 column of Sky&telescope and the responsable of the LPOD.

In "The modern moon: a personal view" Wood doesn't describe the lunar landscapes as seen from the telescope as many books do, but the real geology as seen through our telescopes in a very easy way, using the best style in popular science. Besides of that along the text includes a nice account of those researchers that devoted his carrers to the study of the moon.

From my shelves is the book on the moon that I lent and gifted more often.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Modern-Moon-Personal-View/dp/0933346999/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325940685&sr=8-1

Patricio

One I really like is Observing the Moon by Peter T. Wlasuk. Part of the Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy series. Lots of good practical usable info with plenty of drawings and a CD-ROM of lunar images.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Observing-Patrick-Moores-Practical-Astronomy/dp/1852331933/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325956733&sr=1-8

I had the Gerald North book but found I refered to this book more often so I got rid of the North book.

John

Archived