Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to bolt a DSLR direct to mount?

Tommy B

Quick question people. What attachment/s do I need to bolt my Dslr camera directly to my mount? I have searched the internet a great deal but nothing seems to make sense and I can't figure out what I need. Surley there is a simple little device for the job?

Thats brilliant, thank you all. Until now I was mounting the camera on my 8" tube rings without the telescope in but as you might imagine it was extremely prone to vibration :(

And on the plus side this looks like one of those cheaper equipment purchases :o

Much obliged,

Tommy B.

The solutions given are the cheapest.. I like to use a Ball and Socket Head on a length of dovetail...

One the mount is Polar aligned and tracking at Sidereal rate you can point the camera at any part of the sky... or when i was doing it two different cameras at two different parts of the sky...

I find this handy for avoiding the meridian flip... Most of my imaging tended to be around the meridian as thats where my best skys are...

Peter...

Just be careful as to how big a telephoto lens you use on the camera. If it has its own mounting socket, be sure to use IT ! ( camera attached to lens, rather than other way around ! ) But you already know that, I'm sure. I use a 500-750mm F4-5 Nikon on my SkyView Pro. The camera hangs very nicely on the end of the lens!

Jim S.

• 2 weeks later...

Im now looking at ball and socket heads for the camera but I am unsure as to how the b&s socket head will attach to the mount/short dovetail bar. What kind of connection do these things have? is it just a simple bolt or some other method?

Thanks.

Im now looking at ball and socket heads for the camera but I am unsure as to how the b&s socket head will attach to the mount/short dovetail bar. What kind of connection do these things have? is it just a simple bolt or some other method?

Thanks.

Look for the mounting plate that fits the manfrotto 501 video head as that plate nearly fits the vixen mounts and has both screw sizes so could be used direct to camera or direct to a ball head. Be advised it will need a bit of filing to make it fit, but it's simple to do.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Yup! That's the one. Just a question though, why do you need to use a ball head? Why not just use the mount to position the camera?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Its to give me framing flexibility. If I just bolt it to the mount the camera is stuck in one orientation.

Thanks again for the great suggestion :)

Archived