Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Look what the wind did to my EQ6 Pro & Scope!!!

Vega

Hi all

AN UPDATE:

Used my original 12v power cable to power her up from the marine battery, all seems to be slewing well, synscan working fine.. phew! I take on board all your coments and not offended at all. Lesson well learnt IMO.

Just 3 issues I have to sort.

1. Need rings for an ED80 (of course my evostar 120 ones are too large, silly me)

2. Need replacement tightener for one of my counterweights (plastic thumbscrew sheered off, difficult to tighten just the metal piece by hand now)

2. Need to remove the snapped off ends of the tightners from the Synscan data port on the EQ6. (Have no clue there), No real biggie as the data cable stays put without them and I can always use some tape either side to stop it ever falling out during imaging.

Oh hell Matt, that's not good :(

Just a thought - do you have the mount and tripod oriented so that the little peg for the for the azimuth adjustment is between two tripod legs or over a leg? If it's between two legs then the mount is more easily tipped over by the wind...

That said the wind we've had in the south west base been pretty grim!

James

Hi James, I think so.. (two legs facing North instead of one). Thing is, the wind toppled it over to the South West direction which is bizarre considering the house proects the scope from the East and the wind was coming from the South West rather than to it. My only guess is that due to my small garden being wall bound on 3 sides and a fence on the 4th side, it acted like a whirlwind in there.

Matt

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all

AN UPDATE:

Used my original 12v power cable to power her up from the marine battery, all seems to be slewing well, synscan working fine.. phew! I take on board all your coments and not offended at all. Lesson well learnt IMO.

Just 3 issues I have to sort.

1. Need rings for an ED80 (of course my evostar 120 ones are too large, silly me)

2. Need repalcement tightener for one of my counterweights (plastic thumbscrew sheered off, difficult to tighten just the metal peice by hand now)

2. Need to remove the snapped off ends of the tightners from the Synscan data port on the EQ6. (Have no clue there), No real biggie as the data cable stays put without them and I can always use some tape either side to stop it ever falling out during imaging.

Hi James, I think so.. (two legs facing North instead of one). Thing is, the wind toppled it over to the South West direction which is bizarre considering the house proects the scope from the East and the wind was coming from the South West rather than to it. My only guess is that due to my small garden being wall bound on 3 sides and a fence on the 4th side, it acted like a whirlwind in there.

Matt

glad all is ok vega i mean that. regards mike

I take it the rings are Aluminium.

If you get stuck you can post them down to me and I will weld them up for you.

Hi

Thanks for the very kind offer but one of the rings has a small peice missing and the other has a small piece which im sure would make it quite weak with two welding points so close together. Considering I shove a 2nd dovetail bar, guide rings and guide scope on top, I want to make sure the rings are strong. Will be checking out 2nd hand if not comparing prices for a new set :\

Thanks

Matt

Hi, for problem number 2, here's a temporary bodge I've used a couple of times (although with scope related issues). It is a bodge, but it's a good one.

Make sure all the plastic from the thumb grip thing is cleaned off. Put the tightener in a vice with some soft jaws fitted. Use a small grinding wheel on a drill, or preferably a Dremel. Grind a couple of flats on either side of the shank. You can then snug an adjustable spanner over the flats to tighten the tightener enough to hold the weight good and steady.

Jon

Archived