New to SGL

cgonzale

Hello! I am new to SGL. I have been looking to buy a telescope for some time now and have done a lot of research on aperture, focal length, etc,. Stargazing is just going to be a hobby for me but I would like to be able to view such things as nebula and some of the bigger planets. I would just like to know what the minimal stats of a telescope that I would need to be able to view these objects. Right now I have a 60mm(aperture) and 400mm(focal length) refractor with 4mm and 20mm eyepieces given to me as a gift. I just want a scope that I can use to enjoy other objects than just the moon. Any advice would be much appreciated. Right now I am interested in the Orion Spaceprobe 130ST.

Hi cgonzale, welcome to the forum :)

I see the telescope you mention is a reflector on an equatorial mount, it will be able to show you plenty with its 5.1" aperture and a few reasonable eyepieces,

the 20mm you have will give a low power 45x with the 4mm giving a massive 225x which would be a bit too much for most objects, maybe ok with the Moon but that's probably it. A 7mm eyepiece would give you a nice high power of 128x which I think would be closer to its limit.

I checked for an alternative for you, given the price of the Orion Spaceprobe

this may be worth considering although slightly smaller its a decent package and the telescope would be easy for you to use compared to the Spaceprobe.

link...XT4.5 Dobsonian Telescope & Beginner Barlow Kit | Orion Telescopes

A way to enhance the performance of a smallish telescope is to take it to a location were you have dark skies. That will help a lot in showing you some great sights.

Finally, in case you are not aware of it..download www.stellarium.org

this is a great free piece of software for showing you what's available to observe from you location

Thanks a lot for your help. I will definitely check out that website. I just have one question about the dobsonians though. I've never worked with one and was wondering how they do with small movements? I know how the EQ mounts and Electronic mounts work but not the dobs' mounts.

Hello Cgonzale and welcome to the SGL. Though a small newt (Dob) of 4-6" will detect many DSOs, try for one in the 8-10" size. Though big in physical size, they are still portable enough to set up and transport - key factors in wether you'll be using it a lot in the future. Newts are still good for planitary work but best for DSOs, which are faint and need the light gathering power of a larger scope.

Hi cgonzale.

Welcome to SGL!

For me the minimum aperture that you can see a *lot* of things at depends on how dark your skies are.

I find I can see a lot of things with a 6 inch at a dark site which is comparable to an 8 inch from our okay skies at home.

I find a 4 inch is not quite enough aperture for general DSO viewing, but I have still enjoyed some great views including seeing the shadow of Io passing over Jupiter and some of my favourite sessions this year have been with the four inch.

Archived