DSLR for Telescope

I would like a camera to use with my Telescope but I have no idea about what to go for or what type of camera I need.

I use a Explorer 150P (EQ3 2) 6" Newtonian Reflector Telescope. I don't even know how I attach a camera to use with my scope.

I am after some help and advice about what type of camera to go for and how I actually use it with my scope.

All suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated!!

THANK YOU :)

I would highly recommend buying a webcam before thinking about DSLR. The mount you have really isn't up to it.

The standard recommendation is the Philips SPC880 - with that you can get some good planetary and lunar work in.

After that, purchase a copy of Making Every Photon Count : this is the definitive guide to moving further into the dark arts of astrophotography :)

Ok. I may be being very silly here but don't web cams have USB ports?? If so, where does that go into to make it work with the scope. Sorry if that seems silly but I am a complete noob when it comes to astrophotography

:)

The camera plugs into your laptop and the camera goes into the focusser utilising a nose-piece. You can then control the camera using free software such as Sharpcap. Yoy will of course need to take the lense of the front of the webcam and replace it with the nose-piece.

I'd start with Steve's book... That's the best starting point. A webcam is good for the moon and planets, but you need to have a computer to drive it (USB). You use it by replacing the eyepiece. If you're wanting a DSLR, then look for something like a Canon EOS 1000d or 1100d as a good start point. DSLR's are a lot more money than a humble webcam, but they can produce good widefield DSO images. Again, you'd replace the eyepiece with the SLR. I'm not sure if the scope has a T thread already, but if so, you can attach the camera directly to it.

And do you need a special device to connect it to the scope?

You will need a T-Ring adapter : First Light Optics - T Rings and then something like an eye piece with a m48 thread ( i think ) which will fit into the focusser.

There is another option however : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/max-dslr-camera-adaptor.html but this is only for Nikons and Pentax

MadgieEM before you go spending money, a DSLR is not really suitable for Moon and Planets, as said above you should use a webcam.

A DSLR will fit your telescope with T adapters, but your mount isn't up to DS imaging which requires long exposure, and accurate tracking and guiding.

OK to have a "go" at Moon and planets with a DSLR if you already own one, but it is quite difficult plus planets are very small with DSLR.

You could probably use your telescope with a different mount later on, you really need an HEQ5 or NEQ6 (or CG5 GT) mount for deep sky stuff with DSLR.

Carole

Oh really? How are you getting on with it? And do you need a special device to connect it to the scope?

Am too new to have done anything yet with the camera - I do like the scope though, it seems perfect for us. With regards to using the camera theres so much info around and lots of it is contradictory, I dont know what to do!

MadgieEm,

There is quite a bit to consider when choosing a wecam, such as sensor type (CMOS / CCD), quality (some maufacturers are far better than others) and ease of adapting.

A very good starting point is the Philips NPC880 (or 900 - they are the same other than one button on the cam case). These have bene proven to give good results, are low cost and there are numerous adapters available.

If you want to push things a bit, there are various modifications available for these webcams - take a look here for more details: Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions.

For starting out, stick with a basic, un-modified SPC880/900 though.

HTH,

J.

Ewveryone seems to rave about that webcam which is good, but what if you already have one? I have a Logitech and if I remember correctly it was about £70 - so not a crappy one. Can you use any webcam, or is that Philips specific for astro work?

Sorry to highjack the thread but I seem to be in the same boat as MadgieEM.

The webcams with the CCD chip are the ones to use - don't know if yours has that. To use it with a scope you remove the webcam lens and replace it with an adaptor - these can be bought for the Philips webcams that are suitable to astro work but not for any webcam. It's a complete accident that the Phillips and one or two others are the ones to go for - they were never designed for this use of course !

The webcams with the CCD chip are the ones to use - don't know if yours has that. To use it with a scope you remove the webcam lens and replace it with an adaptor - these can be bought for the Philips webcams that are suitable to astro work but not for any webcam. It's a complete accident that the Phillips and one or two others are the ones to go for - they were never designed for this use of course !

Ah right, I see what you mean.

I had a google of this CCD thing earlier, and a camera, a cd rom and a lead came up for £124.

I blame Coxy for all this, him and his brilliance!

I've seen the basic webcams plus adaptor and IR filter go for around £40 so it's worth shopping around. The Meade LPI is not that good BTW as it's C-MOS chip rather than CCD. The Celestron Neximage is good but just an old Philips Toucam in a new body I believe so rather overpriced. I've seen some excellent planetary and lunar results with these simple things in the hands of a patient and reasonably skilled person and a moderate scope.

In answer to an earlier question, the only adapter you need for a webcam is a telescope adapter plus you'll need an IR filter.

If any-one is interested I have a webcam with telescope adapter and IR filter for sale PM me if you want to discuss.

Carole

• 1 month later...

Hello all....I hope you can help

I eventually bought a web cam, I bought this...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

BUT! I cannot get it tow work in my NetBook. Its a Samsung Net Book NF110, on Windows 7 starter. And I have disabled the internal web cam. My net book downt recognise that the web cam is plugged in. When I open up the software it only recognises the microphone in the webcam. I have even uninstalled the internal web cam but it still works when opening the astro-software.

THe guy I bought it from suggested I do the following...I have tried all of the following...

''1 - turn off the web cam on your laptop

2 - install the relevant drivers from the CD.

3 - install some capture software (I would start off with Sharpcap)

4 - plug in your webcam (this should then find the drivers you installed in 2.

5 - launch Sharpcap and trun on the image preview mode.

For a start, I would suggest you try unplugging the webcam, rebooting the computer, then plugging in the webcam again. Then try launching Sharpcap.

If this doesn't work, open Vlounge (the Windows 7 software you installed) and see if it recognises the webcam as being present.

If this doesn't work, open 'control panel' (or whatever it is called in Windows 7) and go to system manager. Go to hardware and check that it is registering the SPC900 as being present and that the drivers are correctly installed.

Next would be to try re-installing the drivers and start again.''

I tried adding the web cam as a new devise, it still isnt picking it up..

ANY SUGGESTIONS!! I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Archived