Don't let me near expensive new toys!

I've managed to break my eq6 pro already! I went to align the polar scope today following Daz's intructions, I found a nice tv aerial to aim at but for some reason, the altitude adjustment bolt woundn't adjust past a certain point. I looked through the little gap to inside the mount and could see, the rear bolt that the scope rests on is VERY bent so much so that it will only screw in or out a tiny bit before fouling up.

I'm pretty sure this was caused by me being dumb and adjusting the altitude whilst the mount was fully loaded, thereby putting loads of stress on it. Plus I'm prone to over tighten things without realising...

I'm going to ask my dads friend whos an engineer to take a look at it, hopefully tomorrow but before I do, does anybody here have any thoughts or advice?

The scope is still usable because luckily, the altitude is set for my location but if I want to move the scope or align the polar scope, I'm out of luck right now!

Another one of those days! :police:

At the worst it will just need re-drilling, re-tapping and a wider adjusyment screw made up. Nothing that can't be fixed mate.

I don't think the problem is adjusting the mount when loaded. Did you tighten one bolt before you'd slackened the other bolt off....?

Blimey Grant... You've have had a Rubbish few days haven't you?

It's something that your going to have to play by ear I think... I would try and straighten the bolt a little at a time. If you try to force the bolt out them you might strip the thread on the mount which would not good.

Maybe ignore me and go for the ask the engineer approach.

Ant

Hi Grant

Same thing happened to me on my EQ5....I managed to get it out by dismantling everything so I could actually see it, then persuaded it to straighten itself with a lump of wood and a big hammer :police:

Not suggesting you do this but at least you know it can be got out

Chub

I don't think the problem is adjusting the mount when loaded. Did you tighten one bolt before you'd slackened the other bolt off....?

Nope, not that I can recall, I'm pretty sure it was fine in Wales so it could have happened in the car on the way home, the mount was laid in the setwell and could easily have been knocked on that particular bolt....

Chub, I can see that happening at some point :police: I'm hoping I can take off the logo cover bits either side of the mount and unbolt that, then left the top half of the mount off and access the bolt from there... fingers crossed!

D'oh! Doesn't sound serious mate. Those bolts do bend quite easily if you're not careful. You're not going to miss much, the weather is going to be cack at least until Monday night...

Chub, I can see that happening at some point :police: I'm hoping I can take off the logo cover bits either side of the mount and unbolt that, then left the top half of the mount off and access the bolt from there... fingers crossed!

Exactly what I did mate....just have to glue the covers back on. I think these things bend on there own....one minute mine was OK the next looked like a boomerang. Only thing I could think off was when I lifted it with the weights on etc it got bent then.

Part of my problem is, I've been so excited with all my new kit and stuff I've been rushing it a bit, so I've been moving it around fully loaded and probably not thinking enough before I do things...

Lesson definitely learnt though, I'll keep you all posted with regards to progress fixing it! Fingers crossed :police:

Hi Grant,

This has happened to loads of people - including the owners of the HEQ5. Three choices - replace the present one with something stronger - stainless steel? or use a slightly bigger tap to make the thread larger and use a larger bolt , or straighten the present bolt in a vice.

One problem is finding a bolt that is threaded to a sufficient length to make it suitable.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

John

Had the same problem myself....bent bolt, anyhow I managed to somehow wind it out (oil it well first) and replaced with a stainless bolt. Thread was damaged but its course and a bit of oil or grease on the new bolt b4 fitting and it screwed in fine.

The original bolt is very soft and as you found out easily bent, large adjustments should be made with the scope off the mount. Only fine adjustment needs to be made once your at the right altitude, I found pushing the head away from the bolt makes adjustment easier and it takes the strain off the bolt.

As others have said its not the end of the world if the thread is badly damaged either run a tap thru the existing hole or re-drill and tap to the next size.

Hope you get sorted.

If they bend that easily, replace it with a high tensile socket headed bolt. Like in some cylinder heads, only the size you require.

But then again, maybe they are weak by design, so they bend instead of the rest of the scope breaking. Like a fuse perhaps.

Justa joke honest. :police:

Ron. :D

Woohoo!! Fixed it, my dad had the idea of screwing a bolt into the mounting point underneath whilst at the same time holding the bent bolt in position, that way the bolt we winded in from the bottom pushed the bent bolt straight!

Worked a treat, mount is now (sort of) fully functional but thats a different story for a new thread :police:

Archived