Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Efficiency of UHC vs. Light Pollution?

AlexxxAA

Hi everyone. I live in the severely light polluted Los Angeles area. I've decided to get back into directly observing the night sky instead of just photographing. I know that because of where I live, my objects are limited. Even the andromeda galaxy is just the central bulge, with one of its satellites barely visible. M33 has not given me any signs of existence. And both m82 and m81 are barely visible.

I have, however, enjoyed some beautiful views of open clusters such as m36, m37, m38... etc.

I have recently purchased a Baader UHC-s filter and am waiting to test it out...

My question is if it is strictly going to help with viewing nebulas? Or will it help block out some light pollution and bring out some more faint objects for my 8" like smaller NGC clusters or maybe even some galaxy details?

In essence, will it help lower my limiting visual magnitude as well???

Thank you all in advance :p

Hi star forming, I also reside in LA (Porter Ranch area of the San Fernando Valley) and was also considering the same type of filter to address the issue of light pollution. Would appreciate to know if it makes a significant difference and worth the investment. thanks much, allen g

Thanks Grunthos and John. Yea I've been reading up on it and aparently it should atleast do some improvement with a great amount of nebulas. I shall still give it a good try on M31 and M33 to see what the results are. I shall most likely try it out tonight an post my results tomorrow for you guys and for Allen.

• 4 weeks later...

The Baader UHC-S filter is not really a light pollution filter as such, and as a nebula filter it has a very broad band pass, you may find it ineffectual on an 8" as it is made for smaller apertures. A dedicated light pollution filter like the Orion SkyGlow filter may serve you better on an 8" aperture.

The Baader UHC-S filter is not really a light pollution filter as such, and as a nebula filter it has a very broad band pass, you may find it ineffectual on an 8" as it is made for smaller apertures. A dedicated light pollution filter like the Orion SkyGlow filter may serve you better on an 8" aperture.

The UHC-s has given some good results in terms of Nebula. Im quite please with the purchase. I have been conversing with Darkersky, and he mentioned that he uses the Neodymium for some galaxy observations sometimes. I think i might give it a try myself soon.

If not, i will definitely try a dedicated light pollution filter as well. Thank you rwiley :D

Hi

An UHC filter could help with extra Galactic nebula, this indirectly may help with identifying a Galaxy eg NGC604 in M33 is so large and bright it may be visible in a filtered scope. Never tried this myself from London but it would be worth a try.

Be interested to hear how you get on:)

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

An UHC filter could help with extra Galactic nebula, this indirectly may help with identifying a Galaxy eg NGC604 in M33 is so large and bright it may be visible in a filtered scope. Never tried this myself from London but it would be worth a try.

Be interested to hear how you get on:)

Regards Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your right :( Ill definitely give NGC 604 a try :D

Archived