NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh man, when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.....

Tim

What a disappointing night :)

I swapped cameras yesterday on my main imaging telescope, and was looking forward to the promised clear skies tonight to take advantage of a moonless sky.

Started as normal, then when aligning on Jupiter just before dark I managed to nudge the wires on the camera. All downhill from there, one thing after the other started going wrong, EQmod started going beserk, my DSI guidecam put lines all over the place, camera stopped working repeatedly, internet connection failed......

Basically, what could go wrong, DID go wrong :) Even the clouds came up out of nowhere and ruined what clear sky there was.

I've no idea if it will work when I go back to it all, I've rebooted it all several times already.

On top of all that, a really freaky thing happened first. I have a clock in my obsy, that hasn't had a battery in for months/years. I mounted a spare LCD screen in the obsy yesterday and moved the clock, which reminded me about it, so when I went up to the obsy, took a spare battery for it. Put that in, then turned it over to move the hands round to the right time. The PC clock showed the time was 18:36:30secs.

The analogue clock was set to EXACTLY that time, no need for any adjustments. Of all the seconds in a day, I just happened to have chosen exactly the second the clock stopped to put the battery in again..............<cue twilight zone music> :D

Oh yes! I think we have all had nights like these. Tim

I remember one particularly dewy night where my laser colimator, red torch then power pack all decided to throw their toys out of the pram one after the other.:D

After a two hour drive to a decent dark sky, that kinda p&££@d me off:cussing:

Now I carry back ups of back ups.:)

Regards Steve

Basically, what could go wrong, DID go wrong

And then you dropped your scope (onto the dogs head).

Your wife walked in with a cup of tea for you, tripped up over the prone hound and spilled the full cuppa down your PC.

Oh, and she broke her arm whilst in the process of trying to break her fall.

Look on the bright side, it didn't all go wrong! :D

Sorry to hear this. I was happilly tinkering away tonight - too windy to image anything worth keeping, but seeing if I could prove the Atik OAG / Synguider combination on my 10" newt... to cut a long story short, all was going well(ish), do a meridian flip, re-aquire a guidestar, run through the auto calibration on the synguider and it's like the thing is running backwards; masstive star trails on 5 second subs! Ran the auto cal again, same thing so rather that trying to figure out what was going on, I've called it a night.

At least the feeling is returning to my fingers!

Archived