Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus with telescope

Phil Fargaze

Seeing is not only consequence of the optic behaviour of the higher layers of atmosphere.

Low-altitude bad seeing can be caused by wind blowing through local topography (including houses and walls), chimneys, heated roofs and facades, open windows and doors in the terrace or the heat of your bare hands...

Patricio

Read quite a bit lately how filters can improve the view of Venus, particularly a wratten #47 for visual obs. I don't have a wratten #47 (ordered one off Astroboot the other day) but managed to get a few minutes with Venus (between the clouds) last night with the wratten #80a that I have and that seemed to help steady the image a little. Certainly found it easier to distinguish the phase.

Generally tend to use my 80mm frac for Venus as the planet is so bright and so the filter helps to reduce CA as well which is a bonus. May have to invest in a fringe killer.

David

wratten #47 is ok to see details of the clouds of Venus. However, short wave lenghts are severely afected by bad seeing.

To "stop" turbulences is better to use a red filter (better a deep red flter). Longer wave lenghts are less afeceted by turbulences Moreover, a red filter increase contrast of the planet againts the blue sky, especially in day time.

Patricio

i just had a look at venus, and it was like a little jelly fairy light. i tried my new neodymium filter, but that didn't do anything (except the make the twilight sky dark grey instead of dark blue). i don't have any other filters. but, yeah, i think it was a combination of my scope no being cool, and venus being low over the houses. but i was expecting a bit more...

what sort of mag can you use on venus?

I took a look tonight as soon as dusk arrived and also a bit later. That was with the 10" dob but it was still a wobbly view. The magnification depends on what you can get away with for the conditions I suppose. During the 2008/2009 apparition I got it up to 240x.

Venus is going to be 74% lit by the end of January.

I bagged Venus again this evening too - small gibbous disc. Last time I saw it around 20 years ago it was a large crescent. Anyone know when it will be a crescent apparition again?

Hi George, it reaches last quarter (half phase) at the beginning of May and crescent phase from around the 15th May onwards. Surprising how quickly it all moves. By the end of May its only 17 degrees above the horizon at sunset. By early June its in conjunction with the sun.

Matt

Archived