Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quality on Meade's Super Plössl?

Spica

Hi.

I am a hobby stargazer, consider myself to be somewhere inbetween entry- and intermediate level. I have a series of Meades Multi Coated Super Plössls, which partly are derivating from a LX200 manufactured roughly around 2000 - give or take a year or two.

I use the EP's on a Nexstar 130 GT today. They are all clean and well maintained.

-How would you rate these EP's?

-Will they do for now on my occasional use, perhaps a night a week or so?

I am mainly concerned they are only of so so quality, and affecting the observations in a negative way, not enabling me to "grow" with the hobby.

Thanks!

Hi spica,

The Meade super plossl's are good eps, I still have the 26mm that came with my LX200! The 130Gt is a much smaller scope than the LX so is unlikely to test the e'ps, they are superior to the standard fare delivered with skywatchers.

Cheers

I used to have a 4000 6.4mm Meade Plössl. The image quality was quite good but the eye relief was very short. I have currently a 4000 32mm which is very sharp. You won't find them lacking compared to other makes of Plössl.

I Agree with the above, for bang per buck they are as good or better than the competition, I use the 15mm extensively and the 26 compares well with other brands including my tal 25 and is better than a generic 25mm I also have. The 15mm also has useful eye relief AND barlows well for a 7.5mm.

I think from the age of yours, they would be pre-china ones which are probably a bit better than the current ones - you may have taiwan stamped on the barrel.

andrew

Thanks to all in this thread so far for answer. Just looked at my Meade MC SP's, they have actually "Japan" stamped on them. Does this make any difference? Perhaps to the better? Can they be dated pre-2000 then or maybe even earlier? I guess maybe that can also give a hint on the age of the LX200... tnx again!

Check the stamp on the barrel...there were a limited run of "JAPAN" five element plossls made which are very good! -Much better than the later Chinese version.

(They are becoming collectors items)

Hi! Missed yr input when replying/quoting on a previous post! Sorry! Yeah, they have "Japan" stamped on them, great to hear that they are good EP's and even better; collector items! Thanks for improving my mood under the cloudy skies :-):D

But I guess for example Vixen and Nagler still play ball in a different league 'coz they are not the same type of EP altogether?

Been thinking to upgrade to one, or a few, of these as I thought my Meade EP's were only entry level.

There were some comparisons between the Japan 5 element Meade and the TV plossls etc - they were well regarded and certainly better than the "average" plossl; get some practise with them - take your time and and give your eye time to pick up the detail...you need to train your eyes to see things.....

Great stuff - great expertice!

Not only was it a helful link, it also helped me to narrow down the possible year of manufacture of my old LX200 (which I am asking in another thread). Assuming the EP's are those that originally came with the 'scope, it must be made pre- 1998. Instruction booklet says "printed 1996", so anywhere inbetween there then! Nearly pinpointed! Thanks a million for indirectly answering my other thread as well! :D

Archived