Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Books about DSOs?

Now that I can actually find things (love the GOTO!) I'd like to find a book describing the Messier and other DSOs that one can reasonably see through an 8" Newt from an urban setting.

I'm aware of Turn Left at Orion, but having flicked through it at Borders I'm not that impressed. I just want descriptions of what's available and when.

They had a battered copy of "Field Guide to Deep Sky Objects" by Mike Inglis (part of Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series), which seemed OK.

Any others that I should check out?

Thanks,

Mark

My favorite is Observing Handbook and Catalogue of Deep-Sky Objects by Chris Luginbuhl and Brian Skiff. It's on Amazon.com and was out of print for a while, but I think it's back. It has comparisons of hundreds of DSO's between 6" up to 20" scopes or bigger. Very useful.

The best observational books on DSO's that I've read are Stephen O'Mearas 'The Messier Objects' and 'The Caldwell Objects'

http://tinyurl.com/2jj57e

http://tinyurl.com/32ra4k

I notice there's a third book by the same author: 'Deep Sky Companions:Hidden Treasures' which details objects not in either the Messier or the Caldwell lists. Looks like it might be worth getting all 3 books.

I like the look of the other books mentioned too. Hard to choose really but the wall charts included with the Philips book would be nice to have.

I have Nortons Star Atlas and reference handbook. This book at on time was classed as the astronomers bible, but you never hear it's name mentioned now. Even so, I would not be without mine. There are so many books on the subject now, it is difficult to decide. Take a look in the larger bookstores and have a browse in the astrronomy sections. I am sure you will find one to suit your requirements whatever they may be.

Good Luck. Ron. :police:

Hard to choose really but the wall charts included with the Philips book would be nice to have.

Got mine this morning. It's not bad at all really! It hasn't got photos for every object which I expected, but I actually like because I want to see them for myself anyway. Plenty of data and a nice bit of bedtime reading. The atlas and poster probably aren't going to get much use in this house, but it's nice to have them anyway. Well worth the tenner inc P&P IMO.

Good shout Greg.

Archived