SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

.....a better late Jupiter

Kokatha man

Well, although I was reasonably satisfied with the Jove in my other current thread here considering the lateness in the apparition and shooting through 40 degrees elevation at most, I feel considerably happier with this (the next night's) effort... smile.gif

Glenn on CN had suggested that transparency might have been a factor in the slightly "dirty" colours in that effort and I definitely believe that it was a factor (worse the lower Jove is) but I was also of the opinion that setting 80% histograms played a role as well.....this night's imaging objective was to revert to the circa 90% histograms I'd used before I noticed that effect.....and it seems that this could have been a factor as it is nowhere as apparent in these 90% histogram at capture images. questionicon.gif

"Seems" because unless everything is done with controlled analysis it's rather difficult to be too objective (something I've riled against with some of the AA imaging dogmas that I've come across over the years as some folks would know! lol.gif)

But I think we can safely say that if sky transparency is fairly high and/or you shoot with this sort of histo setting on Jupiter such outcomes should be minimised.....this of course isn't the case with Saturn or Mars.....I and many others have grabbed great captures of The Ringed One with 45% or somesuch histograms.....but my thought is that the much greater dynamic range Jove exhibits demands higher settings, particularly in less than ideal seeing conditions.

Anyway, my ruminations for what they're worth atm.....I'm fairly happy to have grabbed something half-decent at this very late stage, and I also have some delicious iR742nM's from the 21st and last night still to process.....as well as working on my Comet Lovejoy takes..!

post-16205-133877709807_thumb.jpg

Thank you Frankie, Rob, Dror and Stuart: along with imaging:rolleyes: I'm reprocessing this image using more frames (2700 per channel as opposed to 1800/channel here) to hopefully "up the ante" with this one.....plenty of quality frames to make that choice so hopefully it'll improve, even if it's only an aesthetic tweaking!:)

Tried shootimg Mars again but apart from an iR742nM the morning clouds manifesting from thin air sabotaged that attempt because it was a little too close to dawn.:) (I'd stayed a bit longer than expected just up the road imaging Comet Lovejoy again)

But it was nice to see just how high Mars is now and also how much higher Satuirn has climbed so quickly.....and it sure looked good from the mono's we shot last week with its rings really opening up now.....2 more targets to aim at with Jupiter still being a respectable one also....!:D:headbang:

Yes Darryl,

Since weather and seeing does not get any better here also, I reprocess also, some of us should come together some where and share processing techniques, like a day or convention of imaging processing enthusiasts.

The whole set is just awesome !!!

Freddy

Archived