Very First Viewing Session

Took my skyliner 150p out earlier and i managed to see jupiter and 5 of its moons inbetween gaps in the clouds. Can't beleive how much detail on jupiter i could see. VERY impressed with the telescope. Only encountered one problem and that was lining up the telescope so i could actually see jupiter. I tried using the mini scope on top for aiming up i'd get jupiter bang in the middle of the crosshair then look into my 25mm eyepiece and could not see jupiter so i had to find it by moving the telescope as i was looking through the eye piece which is no easy task lol. Any tips about my aiming problems?

im by no means an expert (havent even got a scope) but i think you have got to manually align the finder scope up with your main aperture ?

why it doesn't come already aligned i don't know sorry but im sure someone will be along to tell us shortly :D

Any tips about my aiming problems?

On the finderscope mouny there should be two knobs that move the finderscope so its in sync with the telescope. Also I think there is no 5th moon and its a star.

Hope its helped!

EDIT : I dont think it comes alligned as it could be easily moved and would not be able to be then tethered so it was alligned with the scope.

Thanks guys i'll look into aligning the finder scope and 4 moons and a star it was then :D can't wait for a proper clear night so i can look for longer.

My first night was about 2-3months ago and Jupiter was the first object I saw. Was so happy.

Good luck and have fun with gazing

The secret to this one is to have the finder scope aligned with the main tube at the magnification you intend to use. Best to do this in the daytime on a distant object like a pylon tip or top of a church spire a mile or two away.

First center the object in the eyepiece using a low power lens (eg 25mm) then get the finder cross hairs dead on the same thing. Now slip in a stronger eyepiece (eg 15mm). You'll see how far out the finder is so get that re-centered.

Then repeat the same with a 10mm eyepiece. Once the tube and finder cross hairs are centered together at the same magnification then you'll be able to use them on night sky objects more effectively. Try to stick at 150x to 200x magnification for the best views or you'll just be magnifying the atmophere which will make it dim and grainy :D

(Once you get the hang of this you'll gradually be able to do it on a star at night)

enjoy your telescope, I had the same one. Aligning the finderscope will literally take seconds once you've done it a couple of times. Its a big help.

One thing you might consider is a Telrad which helps finding your target a lot. Search it here on the forum.

Bart

All good advice there for lining your finder. When you come to use it keep both eyes open. (I know you would think close one, but no.) Then move your scope until the star or whatever you see with the finder lines up with the other eye. Haven't explained that very well but you get the idea.

Archived