Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab and go scope suggestions

I currently have my old EQ5 pro goto mount and a Celestron 127 SLT OTA which I'm hoping to take to SGL7 next year. I want to do some imaging with my Canon 400D whilst (hopefully) taking advantage of the dark skies at the site. I've only looked through the Mak on a couple of occasions, the Moon and Jupiter being the targets so have no real idea how it will perform under a nice dark sky, but I know it is nowhere near performance of my 200P.

The 127 mak has a 1500mm focal length giving it an f11 focal ratio, which is twice that of the 200P, so I know the image is going to be darker and have less detail, but I don't really want to breakdown the 200P in the observatory.

I've seen an 80mm Vixen ED80 which has an f7.5 ratio, but at £400 is out of my budget, but can afford a Vixen A80MF, but this too has an f11 focal ratio, so and being less aperture than the mak I guess it I wouldn't gain much ?

On alternative is the TAL 4" (100RS) which seems to have a decent review by Astro-baby... but would like to hear comments and suggestions on this or alternative possible alternative OTA's that are sub £300 that would work ?

make a dob base for the 200p and take that with you?
I want to do some imaging with my Canon 400D whilst (hopefully) taking advantage of the dark skies at the site.

..... but I don't really want to breakdown the 200P in the observatory.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a bit irrelevant given the points stated in my post

Tal100rs :D:D:D

really nice 100mm f10 achro, another one to look out for is the older vixen 80m custom (or 90mm)

the tals wont be in stock for much longer as their was none about for nearly a year

Yeah, several of the leading outlets are saying the same... Does the 100RS perform well as an imaging scope ?

I think you are confined for choice to a short focus refractor in order to take best opportunity for exploiting a dark site photographically. The excellent long focus refractors mentioned will not realistically do this for you. A 2nd hand short focus 80mm refractor should come up on AB&S before SG7. :D

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's a bit irrelevant given the points stated in my post

sorry - my mistake. I thought you were imaging with the camera and observing with a scope (not imaging with the scope?). as I read it you did not wish to dismantle the mount etc rather than simply take the tube off.

the 200p will provide a much better visual view to the 127 Mak hence my suggestion of a dob base to use while the camera does its thing. given the larger aperture, the view will be (visually) brighter in the Mak (at the same magnification) than the other two scopes you mention?

I've been thinking of a 150mm newt as a portable, convenient scope too. The fracs are nice, but they don't gather much more light than binoculars... You could do what I did and get an ST80 to try out small frac viewing - the scope will always be handy as guidescope later on..:-)

Not that I am saying the ST80 is an optical wonder - but it gives a general idea of the light gathering and field of view.

You could do what I did and get an ST80 to try out small frac viewing - the scope will always be handy as guidescope later on..:-)

Ags, you must to read people's signatures :D:)

heq5.jpg

LOL - have a happy Christmas guys - and thanks for your input. The current price of a 150P OTA is around £175, so I think I'll plump for that... If Steve from FLO is reading this, I'll buy one in your January sale :)

Archived