Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

As the Ursids have been a total wash-out for me, I am now looking towards the Quadrantids in January: QUADRANTID METEOR SHOWER IN 2012 — PARI WebSite. In particular the sentence "In 2012 the Quadrantids are predicted to reach a peak of about 120 meteors per hour about 2 a.m. EST on Wednesday, January 4." If I am reading this correctly, and my maths is correct, 0200 EST is 0700 GMT, and so, with an 8 hour rise and fall around the peak, the best time will be from 0300 onwards.

By 0300 the moon is only 4 degrees above the western horizon, setting at 0337, and the radiant is 57deg Azimuth (NE), 39d Altitude. At 0700 (expected peak) the radiant has risen to 88d Az (E) and 74d Alt.

The plan is to use the shortest lens I have on the Canon, mounted on the piggyback mount on the 6SE, centre it on the radiant, and take a series of pictures using exposures of about 2 minutes, from 3 onwards. Hopefully, these photos will show a progression of increased meteor activity during the four hours of the rise-to-peak. This, of course, presumes clear skies :D.

OK, that's the plan. But as this is my first attempt to do something like this, I am open to any suggestions for plan-improvements.

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter,

38mm.

According to CCD Calculator, with the Canon 1000d, this will give me a fov of 1340' x 2011' [22x33 degrees]. Do you think this will be enough? If not, how far from the radiant should I aim it? Also, would I want to move it nearer the zenith to reduce the amount of atmosphere I am looking through, or nearer the horizon so I as to increase the amount of atmosphere I am observing in which meteors can burn up?

Thanks

I'll see if i can dig out the article from the pile of SAN mags or the info online...

A quick online search suggest looking around one hand span away from the radiant... thats around 20-25 Degrees away...

"When looking, be sure to let your eyes adjust for at least 5 minutes so your eyes can be properly adapted to the dark. Don't look directly at the radiant site, because the meteors will often start their "burn" some distance from it, but around a hand-span up or to the side." came from here

and this...

"Where Should I Look in the Sky?

A lot of press releases say that you should face the radiant. You'll also hear advice that you shouldn't face the radiant. I like to keep both the radiant and the zenith in my field of view, but with neither at the center. You should center your field of view high in the sky (>50 degrees elevation) to avoid horizon obstruction. Also, when you have to deal with light pollution or moonlight, keep your field in the darkest part of the sky." from here...

I'll keep digging...

biab...

• 2 weeks later...

Forecasters are also predicting near enough the same conditions, clear skies from early morning until dawn, for us here in Crewe. If that turns out to be correct I will at least have a crack at viewing some meteors. And to be truthful I seriously cannot recall ever viewing the Quadrantids once, it has always seemed to be clouded out on the night and the short peak meant that viewing a day either side is unlikely to produce any results.

This Evening and Tonight

Starting windy, particularly along the north coast, with gusts of 60-70mph possible during the evening, easing later. Most parts will be dry and chilly, however a few blustery showers will move in from the northwest, turning wintry over higher ground.

I think I'll stay in bed :)

Just been out and checked where I will be targeting - just to the right and above where dubhe is at present. Lovely and clear. At lunchtime they were saying cloud would be in attendance between 12&2. Just waiting to see if that has been updated. If not, off for an early night, so I can be out by about 3 when the rise to the peak is due to start.

Project QUADS under way ... started at 02:58:52 ... not captured any yet :o

had an hour...3.am-4.00am, seen a good dozen during that time. :)

highlights..3.16 flying across my northern horizon around 30/35 deg from east to west, long tail on this one.

3.23 same as above in its path but much longer tail ;)

3.56 heading directly north it appeared, around 20/25 deg above my horizon. This one was very powerful looking but fleeting in its appearance.

brew and back out.

Hope you have some captured soon DP :(

I have been out doing some ad-hoc observing and with some success. For once the forecast seems to have been correct, little or no cloud cover here aside from some high murk mucking up the transparency a bit. Seen around 10 in total with a lovely "cluster" of them where 4 came along with 30 seconds of each other which made for a great sight.

I notice these are much faster in general than the Geminids although they seem to vary greatly in speed depending on how far from the radiant they are.

Was just out checking the equipment and saw one at 4.26 ... passed along the length of UMi, underneath it, heading towards Polaris. Not the bit of sky that I am photographing unfortunately.

I think I am beginning to see the flaw in my plan. Even if there is a meteor every 30 seconds, because of the relatively small part of the sky I am imaging, I am still likely to get very small numbers, so probably won't be able to end up with the graph for which I was hoping.

Still, not going to stop now. Will just carry on and see what I end up with.

lovely "cluster" of them where 4 came along with 30 seconds of each other which made for a great sight.

missed that lot Tom ;)

not been that many past 45 mins either apart from a couple in quick succession, the first flew straight past to the right of Capella, easily the best I have seen this morning :)

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

EOS Utils now saying Low Battery. What sort of moronic bozo doesn't think to charge his camera battery before attempting a project like this??

Well, nothing I can do about that now. Will just have to see how long it lasts. Don't think it will get right through until 7+, but if I stop to recharge it now the whole project will be ruined. Guess I will just let it keep going until it completely dies.

If nothing else, this morning is giving me a lot of pointers for when I repeat the exercise ... wonder what the long-range forecast is for Janaury 2013?

Well, the camera battery has died. Have captured just over 100 shots, so hopefully I will have caught SOMETHING.

On the plus side, I have just seen my first Iridium flare. Didn't know it was happening ... first thought it was an incredibly bright, slow moving meteor. Then wondered if it was a plane. Then checked HA ... spot on for low down in the NE at 5:55.

Activity doesn't seem to be very high yet. Just completed my second hour and have recorded a total of just 17 meteors. Hopefully best is yet to come.

seemed to drop of for me after 4.30 David, would put my count around yours, 15 from 3.00am until 5.00am.

Archived