SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Peak seemed to arrive early? My count was highest between 4 and 5am. After that it trailed off until I came in at 06:25.

Great night though....

5 Hours watching

50 Meteors seen

5 Albums listened to :)

not sure work going to be much fun today though after just 90 minutes sleep ;).

Hope you all had as good a night as I did!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope some of your shots show some activity. I was up at 6.15 and saw three whizzing off into the west and then at about 7 a v bright one with trail heading down to the eastern horizon from the Vega area. Also saw a tumbling satellite through Leo at about 6.30.

Hi all

I spent the morning out from 3.45. Set up the scope for driven photography, laid out the sun bed in the lee of the bushes for a bit of shelter, aimed the camera north of the radiant into the zenith using a 18mm lens and 60 second exposures.

The 18mm lens covers quite a bit of sky, from Coma to UMa and most of Bootes.

The sky was clear from horizon to horizon and started with a bit of haze blowing across that meant limiting mag was nearer 3 than 4, this blew away after 4.30 and the sky got darker towards mag 4,4.5 or so.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the numbers, considering the height of the radiant, the sky conditions and me being there, I expected more.

There was probably almost as many sporadics as Quads, most of the quads were short slow bright ones away from the radiant with some fainter ones near the radiant, but the sporadics were all fast and long.

I did have one or two bright long ones, I caught a photo of one in Leo and another in UMa.

All in all about 15 or 20 an hour and it dropped off after 5.30 or so. I got bored trying to capture meteors so spent the rest of the time until 7 photographing the constellations.

Not a bad night but not as productive as expected.

Mike

Hi,

Based near High Wycombe, Bucks, I went out at 0330 hrs UT and watched until 0645 when some cloud and approaching dawn forced me in to get warm.

In the first hour I only saw one meteor, very bright in the south travelling parallel to the horizon.

The next hour saw 8 meteors, all but one being faint and short.

The final full hour from 0530hrs to 0630 hrs saw 11 meteors, 3 of which were bright.

In my final 15 mins I only saw one more, faint.

Total 21 meteors in 3hrs 15 mins. rather disappointing.

I did take regular photos of 30 sec exposure (not DSL) but failed to image a single meteor.

Oh well, perhaps next time!.

Archived