Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Atlas

Ian123

Hello, at the moment i do have the 'Pocket Sky Atlas' and and it seems to be very good in traversing the constellations and picking out objects i would like to view.

But i was wondering is the 'Sky Atlas 2000' any good in the way of bigger pages so less turning in the field and is it more detailed?

Not sure about Sky Atlas 2000, I think it goes down to magnitude 8 stars.

I use Cartes du Ciel which you can get as a free download. It has stars down to magnitude 12, very useful when trying to find slightly more difficult objects.

The maps can be customised and are printable. Have a look and see what you think.

Another alternative free download is Stellarium.

Have a look at JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy - select the scale and faintness that best suits your equipment, print off the pages you need when you need them and gradually build up the entire sky - oh, and i nearly forgot, it's free

I have some of these atlas's too. Well worth a look before you commit to buying anything new, obviously you have to factor in ink costs for printing but there very good and the option to print individual pages is great. I have built up the complete A set and the B/C intermediate set. If your after something bigger perhaps the A3 set will be of interest but may be a little large for use in the field

Hi

I have the laminated A3 sized "Sky Atlas 2000" never go observing without it.

Without doubt, one of the best astro purchases I've ever made.

Regards Steve

Thanks Swampthing.

If your after something bigger perhaps the A3 set will be of interest but may be a little large for use in the field

Size is what im after with having to constantly turn pages to see the other half of the constellation is annoying and not really a problem as my observations are made from back garden which will have a little table to use with the atlas.

Have a look at JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy - select the scale and faintness that best suits your equipment, print off the pages you need when you need them and gradually build up the entire sky - oh, and i nearly forgot, it's free

Thanks for the info but just seems a little cluttered, more for the seasoned observer i feel and cant help but think when printed it will be a little difficult to use in dark conditions, but as i said, maybe usefull in the future.

Cheers

Look into the "Tiron 2000" atlas. Pages are HUGE and it lies open flat on a table. Has a R.A./Dec. overlay to percicely plot locations. stars down to 9th mag., some several thousand DSOs placed on each map page, covers the whole sky (N&S hemispheres), and the "desk" edition has maps in color.

I have had one for some 20 years and it's still my ultimate star atlas. Can't say enough about it, it's that awesome.

I have some of these atlas's too. Well worth a look before you commit to buying anything new, obviously you have to factor in ink costs for printing but there very good and the option to print individual pages is great. I have built up the complete A set and the B/C intermediate set. If your after something bigger perhaps the A3 set will be of interest but may be a little large for use in the field

I managed to get all of the atlases, A, B, C, and both the intermediate sets, printed on the correct size of paper at a place of previous employment. I've managed to get them all into ring binders too. I use them fairly often, and they complement each other very well. Great for getting that little bit of information about locating an object. I'm thinking about getting a run of binding done with some of these, double sided and hopefully fold flat. Expensive to get that done though!

I have the Pocket Sky Atlas, it's in my eyepiece case and it's my most referred to atlas. I've also got the Deep Sky 2000, and the Cambridge atlas (my holiday atlas), as well as Norton's, and one or two more.

Maybe I have an addiction to star cartography documents?

To answer the OP, the Deep Sky 2000 is definitely a step up from the pocket sky atlas, but for a different use case. I personally don't have the desk space when setting up outdoors for the large format maps. If I had and observatory I would likely have all of the large maps on a table for quick reference. My preferred combination is the Night Sky Observer's guide with the Pocket Sky atlas.

Archived