Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

need help processing this image.

I had a bit of a play with the tiff and there is plenty of detail there. Flats would ease the processing a lot. Then you could use curves to pin the sky background and lift the spirals without the vignetting. I didn't post my attempt because I couldn't get the star colour right in the short time I have this morning, very pink, sorry.

Grab a set of flats if you can and add those to the stack and it should help. Keep at it because the detail and framing of these two galaxies is very nice indeed.

These are not an easy duo but you've captured plenty of data. I have given your image a little stretch using about 10 iteration of adjustment using levels. I then applied Gradient Xterminator to try and improve the effect of the vignetting. A good set of FLAT frames would assist you here. I then boosted the saturation levels of the whole image (which to be honest, I think I have overdone!) followed by selecting the stars with red halos on them and reduced their saturation. Finally, I used Curves to darken the background and give the rest a slight brightness/contrast boost.

post-13675-1338777099_thumb.jpg

I finally got a few minutes to run this through Photoshop as well.

You definitely have some details in there to tweak out, and as others said, flats would help but your vignetting wasn't anything too extreme so easily compensated for.

Basically I ran some actions but what they did was generally: several iterations of levels and curves, some de-panda-izing of the stars and slight gaussian blur of just the stars so they weren't as harsh, balanced out the vignetting, and boosted some color in the galaxies. If I were to keep working on this I would layer in the cores again to tone them down and bring down the brightness of the Cigar and do a bunch more star work but for what I had time to do tonight, there is definitely a fair amount of detail in there, though more imaging time always helps too

post-24627-133877715686_thumb.jpg

Archived