NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

C6 XLT worries

I think i maybe having one of those days where everything is rosey and chugging along nicely. The C6 arrived this morning and that got everything off to a good start.

But then it all belly flopped!

I opened the C6 box to find a gleaming new (only my third new scope in 24 years) Celestron C6 XLT. Checked everything over with a big beaming smile. That is until I removed the 1.25" visual back......oh! Not quite what I was expecting. I presume the SCT visual back on the C6 is just a gimmick, a bit of marketing hype? I only say this because the aperture at the back is stopped down to 25mm (ish). Does this render my C6 XLT useless for 2" accessories and DSLR imaging?

I feel like my plan for world domination has been blown. Quite deflated now. :police:

Russ

37% CO - it didn't cross my mind it would be stopped down. Nevermind, my fault, should have done some research first. Unsure what to do next now? Anyone want to trade C6 XLT (2hr 16mins old) for ED100?

Russ

Hi there

It might be worth trying it out before you sell it. I have a Skywatcher 6" mak, which I seem to remember has a similar sized rear opening (can't measure it right now), and 2" accessories seem to work fine with it. No noticeable vignetting for visual use - I haven't done any imaging though.

Hi there

It might be worth trying it out before you sell it. I have a Skywatcher 6" mak, which I seem to remember has a similar sized rear opening (can't measure it right now), and 2" accessories seem to work fine with it. No noticeable vignetting for visual use - I haven't done any imaging though.

Did you use any low power, widefield EPs? It seems strange they wouldn't vignet?

Surely a decent retailer will accept a return even if the goods aren't faulty. I'm sure they are under no obligation but it's worth an ask.

I am the 'decent retailer' and was on the phone to Russ within the hour to offer a refund but he has decided to keep it. I'll let him explain his reasoning.

My no1 retailer was indeed on the phone immediately to offer a solution. I only blame myself here anyway. I normally research things to death but strangely I didn't this time.

I'm not exchanging it though. Two reasons:

1/ Found two other people on the web who use the C6/DSLR combo with no problems of vignetting.

2/ If need be I'll sell the Canon to buy an Atik or something. Although I'll need to bug Martin first with some questions :D

3/ If I decide I really can't live with the C6 I'll offer it for trade to get an ED100

Oh there is a third.....the EQ6 tripod is now under my Vixen and I'm not giving it back :police: The C6 could be complete poo but I love the tripod.

Hi there

It's funny you should say that. The C6 looks like its just the Skymax 150 tube converted for use as an SCT. They certainly dipped in the Skymax parts bin but that's no bad thing. The focus knob will be familiar to any Skymax owner. But also the focus itself.....ultra smooth just like the Skymax.

Russ

Hi there

Did you use any low power, widefield EPs? It seems strange they wouldn't vignet?

Yes, I used a 42mm Skywatcher Kellner and a 30mm Moonfish ultrawide. Both were fine. It could be I'm not sensitive to the issue, but I really did find both eyepieces fine. I'll check again next time I get a chance though, to make sure - hopefully I won't start to notice vignetting!

Not wishing to hijack this, but its very relevant here. Doesn't the 'scope focus the image down to a very small aerial image that you then look at using the eyepiece? In which case its only the pointy end of the light cone that has to come out of the hole in the back of the 'scope and there would be very little or no vignetting.

Captain Chaos

But the light cone will be thicker the further up you go. I'm going to try tomorrow night using my Mak which also has a 25mm opening, I'll be surprised if my 30mm 80 deg doesn't vignet, they don't make those thinking 2" only for nothing.... :police:

Archived