NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader SteelDrive Driver Discussion

Ian - have a look at SequenceGenerator Pro for automation once you get your DSO imaging rig sorted out. It has focus routines which are pretty good and you can set different criteria of when you want to focus, including temp changes. I had great results with the HiTec Astro DC focuser, I've yet to try the SteelDrive yet in the field.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, after a night's rest, I uninstalled the drivers and re-installed Exar v1.8.0.0 and all is well, using ASCOM 6 on my WinXP laptop. I did an update on .Net as well via Windows Update.

It is, however, flakier than a flakey thing from the planet Flake....

I don't get what the positional control section is for, as they don't do anything - apart from the Synch to 0. Entering any numbers in the other boxes just results in an error that says "Enter a number between 0 and 0"!! Useful!

It also connected OK with FocusPal and I could jog the position OK, as well as move to specific positions.

I will post the software versions I have a bit later...

Daz,

Download the software update from Baader website, this is version 1.0.1 when you run it (not quite an update). The focus point control works then and you can enter something other than zero in the box.

Sounds promising that you can control it OK on WinXP with ASCOM 6. So it sounds like this is Win 7 related then. I'm not downgrading!

When you tried yesterday before installing ASCOM 6, were you on version 5.5?

LOL @ picture :icon_salut:

>snigger< @ piccy!!

Ian - OK, will try the website version... My eyes must not have been working properly yesterday, I saw the website version and thought it was older than the CD version! Didn't spot the extra 0 on the CD version (1.0.0.1)!!

ASCOM - no, have been on 6 for some time. ASCOM was not on my Win7 laptop before I installed for testing.

So, yes, I'd agree it's a driver issue on gthe 64bit environment. I hope they hurry up and fix it - am planning to update the observatory laptop to Win7 - will hold off for now!

Update....

The version I have on my CD is 1.0.5 - which does NOT allow the pointing operation to work at all.

The web version is 1.0.1 which DOES allow the pointing operations to work - but only for the step settings. I can GoTo a specific point, move an incremental amount and go back to zero - all fine. If I use the 'mm' values, I just get an error "Please enter a value between 0 and 00 mm". I have tried all the number variations I can think of, but still no good.

FocusMax is happy, Maxim is happy, I am happy.

I'll be delirious when the spacer arrives :icon_salut:

Another update...

Updated the SteelGo and Exar driver on my Win7 laptop....

I can now connect using ASCOM via Maxim to connect to and control the focuser!!

The ASCOM Diagnostics utility still reports the error on the 32bit driver, but Maxim is very happy with it!

And Ian, I get no clicking - just a nice smooth whirring sound!

Daz,

Thanks for clearing this up. With their SteelGo software they nearly had it right first time, every other attempt there after has been worse :-)

My conclusion is that it is a Win 7 only issue and only when using ASCOM, either 32 bit or 64 bit.

There is a workaround in place at the moment to get connected and use the focuser which is to use POTH and get connected there before connecting with any other application.

I've been in contact with Baader so awaiting a resolution from them.

Clear skies and it can be tested for real!

Daz,

Which combination of files did you use on your Win 7 laptop that Maxim is happy with? So you get no errors with .net popping up or anything? I think the latest Exar is 1.8.0. Not sure about the ascom driver mine is 1.0.0.0 for Baader SteelDrive.dll

Cheers,

Ian

I just got an email from the manufacturer basically stating they have done extensive testing and it should work even with the error message in the ascom diagnostics. They are working on an x64 driver currently. I'll have some dialog with them.

No not now.

As per earlier post, I updated the Exar driver and SteelGo and all works.

It is the ASCOM diagnostics that reports the 32bit error.

For completeness, I've got the .Net Compact 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 installed on here and Framework 1.1

I can connect with AstroArt 5 without issue. It seems that some of the ascom dialogs work and some don't, or at least how the dialogs are called.

Well this will do for now I can use it. My clicking also seems to be only present when on USB, I am thinking its maybe running out of power temporarily and stopping for a few ms. When on the hand controller it is fine.

Now, when i press -1 or +1 or -10 and +10 using the AA5 Ascom Autofocus utility it works great. If I press -100 or +100 it moves but throws and error "Conversion from string "" to type "Integer" is not valid.

And the manufacturer thinks the drivers are OK. Can't win.

I've sent all screen shots and error messages off to the manufacturer who I am in dialogue with in email. Let's see what they come back with.

Baader did acknowledged their SteelGo application needed addressing with the errors both Daz and I have encountered so promising.

The good news is the Baader is very receptive to the feedback. Also they have managed to replicate the issues I have reported to them and are working on an updated driver. I will keep you posted on progress.

Daz, if you are interested in testing the updated driver just let me know.

Archived