M57

centroid

I've been a member for around three months now, but have never gotten around to 'posting' an image here.

As last night was the first bit of clear sky I've seen in quite a while, I 'grabbed' the opportunity to 'fire' the gear up.

Yep, I know everyone else was watching the occultation, by I went DSO 'hunting'.

Although still quite low in the East at 23.00 hrs, being a favourite of mine, I decided to go for M57.

6 x 5 min subs, 10"LX + f6.3FR, and SXVF-H9C. Processed in AA4.

Dave

post-13389-133877328216_thumb.jpg

I see you used a focal reducer. How do you find the LX200 guides at F10?

As I mainly go for DSO's, I don't think I can remember using the LX at f10 for imaging, and if I did, it was a long time ago.

I used to use a f3.3 FR, and this was fine with the MX7C, but 'right on the edge' with H9C, due to having a much larger CCD.

However, I really don't anticipate having any problem with using the LX at f10, as I put quite a bit of effort into the Polar alignment and PEC.

The mount is drift aligned, to the point where there is no perceptible star drift, over quite a long time, when monitored with software and a CCD.

Using Pempro, I have the PE down to 5 arc secs, and when I get around to refining the data for phase error, probably lower than that.

The 'bottom line' is, the guider now has very little work to do.

If I felt the guiding needed 'tightening up' at f10, I'd put a Barlow in series with the guide cam (DSI) and the ED80 guide scope.

Dave

Thanks Dave, just interested since I'm planning on trying my NS8 at F10 with the SXV AO unit. M57 is on my list. Like you I find the 3.3 reducer vignettes a fair bit with the sxv h9 so I don't use it. Have you tried any computer assisted polar alignment. I've thought about it but don't find drift aligning that time consuming with a bit of practice, just get on with the rest of my set up. 5 arc secs PE is good going.

Martin

The last time I Polar aligned, was when I recently re-installed all the 'gear', which I had removed from the obs, before going out to Western Australia for two months. Although the obs has as many security features as I can sensibly employ, I didn't fancy leaving all the gear in there, unattended for two months.

I downloaded and tried using the WSN software for the Polar alignment, and it worked quite well. Having said that, I found it quicker to adjust the mount intuitively, rather than follow the software's suggestions. It still proved an useful 'tool' to have, and as such, for the £15 it costs for the licence, I'll probably buy it.

BTW, nice Enterprise!!

Dave

BTW, nice Enterprise!!

Dave

:shock: a fellow astroimager who sails. Now that's a select few!!!

I have to set up every time so anything that can shave a few minutes is likely to help. Been thinking of giving Max align a try but will have a look at WSN

Could you tell mw what WSN software is please?

Mike

The WSN software was written by a German amateur astronomer, and is designed to 'drift' align a mount using a web-cam, or similar.

Unfortunately I'm currently on the main PC in the house, and WSN is installed on my obsy PC, along with url for obtaining it.

You can download it for free, and try for somthing like 30 days. If the licence is purchased, its around £15.

I'm sure someone will 'pop-up' with the url info.

Dave

Archived