NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal barlow

chunky

I would go for the 2x personally, as the 3x barlow would give quite excessive magnification with the scope. In normal skies you can't really go past 200x often, and managing 250x + is only reserved for very good nights. A 2x barlow would give 300x with your 8mm, which is probably a tad optimistic for regular use, but a 3x barlow would give 450x, which exceeds the useful magnification of the scope, and would probably get little to no use.

Not at all. The 2x barlow would be good, as it would work with the 8mm at 300x for those good nights, but one area you haven't looked at is using the barlow with your other eyepieces. Using your 10mm and 25mm normally, you would get 120x and 48x, but with a 2x barlow with the 10mm and 25mm, you get 240x, a good higher power magnification, and 96x, a good medium power magnification. So, if you are prepared to use your 10mm and 25mm EPs, a 2x barlow would be very handy.

Of course you could always get separate eyepieces instead of a barlow, but using a barlow you get 2 magnifications for each EP, doubling its potential use!

I was just about to order the x3 Tal but they've already sold out! :) So I've ordered a x2. Can always stack that on top of another x2 to give x4 for imaging with my ED80. I was hoping to replace my "no name" cheapo x3 Barlow. Missed the boat by while thinking about it :icon_salut:

Got the wife to order me a 2x for xmas, been waiting for months to get my hands on one of these as they seem to have very positive reviews for the price everywhere, they seem to be like gold dust so i wouldnt hang about if thinking of getting one!

I ordered the Tal x3 from sherwoods photo yesterday, called first to check they had stock. Seemed the cheapest I could find incl postage. I was originally interested in a Meade 5000 telextender instead, but they are a lot pricier

Archived