SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen Bino scope extaordinare!!

inspectapart

I agree with DN18. Coloured coatings are used to cover up poor quality optics. If you see yellow or ruby coating, just avoid them at all cost. Also, there are no good zoom binocular.

If you are looking for a 15x70 binocular, the Celestron Skymaster will be a much better choice

Celestron SkyMaster Binoculars 15x70: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

That looks lovely. Just out of interest, how do you look through this? Do you arch over the top of the two OTA?

For the 6" I think that is how you do it. The larger binocular scopes tend to be called reverse binoculars because you stand / sit between the two tubes and look the opposite way to where they are pointing. Like this:

post-12764-133877706196_thumb.jpg

No:

• As has already been said, those "ruby" coatings are primarily to disguise poorly-corrected optics.
  • There is no such thing as a decent zoom binocular. The end.
  • "BaK6" sounds better than "BaK4" for prisms but, despite having a higher refractive index, it offers no advantages re critical angle, because the critical angle of BaK4 is already sufficiently low for TIR in Porro prisms. However it has a higher dispersion, so colour becomes more difficult to control. Yet another pointless gimmick!

I am sure I have seen binocular telescope pictures in the dim and distant past that have them mounted on a kind of movable chair thingy. I have been looking on Google but can't find them anywhere. Am I just dreaming?

And thank you all for the words of wisdom on those binos I found. I am sure they will be good for skip spotting so you can anticipate where you are going to throw them.

The 80mm Vixen binoscope was a very nice performer, unlike the 25 X 125 model which was about the only disappointing Vixen offering. It is possible to make a binoscope from two of the current 8omm F11 Vixen scopes, I've made a couple for high res terrestrial viewing. :icon_salut:

I had a commission several years ago to fit a 25 X 150 Fujinon to a Starchair, an interestin experience, several of us at the Astronomy Centre had a ride on it. Pretty expensive rig overall, I still prefer a 90 degree angle eyepiece approach.

Archived