Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

highest power eyepiece?

What would you recommend as the highest practical power eyepiece fop use with a Skywatcher 150p Reflector. Any suggestions as to make and price of a resonable quality specimen of same.

I have a 9mm plossl and have had a wonderful views of Jupiter and the moon in my first few attempts but, of course, I immediately want to see more more more detail

Thanks

The 9mm will be giving you 83x which is more medium power I would say. If it was me I would be looking to add something around 130x (say a 6mm eyepiece) and 180x (say a 4mm eyepiece). The TMB Planetary clones come in these focal lengths and are pretty god for their price.

On a really good night you might be able to use something like 240x but a barlow lens might be the best way to get there unless you want to buy a 3mm eyepiece - again there is a TMB Planetary 3.2mm which would do the trick.

Hi, for high power views in this country the limit seems to be around 200x so for you around 4mm would do although I think you may find backing off from that will give a more pleasing view of the target, why not try a barlow lens with the 9mm? a 2x barlow would give you around 166x.

These are highly regarded First Light Optics - Tal 2x and 3x Barlows

Baader Orthoscopics are worth considering as these are excellent for Planets, Moon and double stars etc, and are reasonably priced, but for greater detail an increase in aperture would have to be on the cards :icon_salut:

Those are very high quality EPs but have very short eye relief. If you wear glasses, this is a real problem. With my old 6" F/8 I used a 5mm EP (Circle-T Ortho) for 240x, but that did not get as much use as my 8mm at 150x (that would be a 5mm EP on your F/5 scope). Both had serious eye relief problems. A 4mm and 6mm TMB Planetary EP or clone would be great. Vixen LV and NLV EPs also have good eye relief and are great for planets (but smaller FOV than the Planetaries).

Just never try anything less than 4mm, im living testomony to that.. I bought a 2mm eyepiece for my 200p.........absolutely and totally useless... it just wouldnt sharpen down and the image kept going in an out of focus... Whereas 5mm is amazing..!

isnt a 2mm to much for a 200p? 500x magnification is a hell of a lot think its practicle mag is 400x...could be wrong. 2.5mm would be limit for the 150p (and the 200p) but you would need immaculate seeing. I dont imagine going lower than the 3.2 TMB tbh.

Archived