Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camera help please

kilty74

Hi everyone not sure if anyone help here but I was taking a few shots through my scope and my nikon d100 last nite of the moon everything going well had look on my camera screen and the moon was looking good a few decent shots! Then thought I would do some widefield shots of orion so put my lens back on put my camera on a tripod and proceeded to take some shots but when I checked iamge after exsposure the image was black! Tried different lenses same black image tried settings still no joy black images, so went in side tried with all the lights on flash every mode same prob,tried this morning in daylight same black images!any ideas and help please why this is happen?I have goggled problem but no joy there either thanks in advance

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Did you adjust the exposure settings after shooting the moon ? The moon is really bright, the stars in Orion are nowhere near as bright. The focal length you use will determine the shutter speed, as a rule of thumb, 600/focal length in seconds. You will also need to boost the ISO, try at 800, and keep the lens aperture as wide as you can (although don't go wider than about f/3.5 unless you have decent glass).

Did you adjust the exposure settings after shooting the moon ? The moon is really bright, the stars in Orion are nowhere near as bright. The focal length you use will determine the shutter speed, as a rule of thumb, 600/focal length in seconds. You will also need to boost the ISO, try at 800, and keep the lens aperture as wide as you can (although don't go wider than about f/3.5 unless you have decent glass).

That makes more sense then my stupid question.

True Rob, but that doesn't preclude either question... a blank frame during the day is very easy... I wonder... if the camera aperture was set to something like f/16 or f/20 then this would have no effect on the scope, as there's no aperture blades, but put the lens back on, and you'll immediately be back to using that setting.

Thanks for the response guys no I didn't adjust the exposure setting after I shot the moon I just put the lens back on set the iso to 3200 and shutter speed 20 seconds manualy focused and that's when the black images started!and still remain now:(

I thought I had trouble the other night when the moon disappeared from my image. An eyeball at the outside showed the reason - the moon was obscured by a dirty great black cloud!! :)

That's odd and not good. You can see through the viewfinder ? (I'm assuming so) please confirm though that'll prove no objective side obstructions. When you press the shutter button you can hear the mechanism move ? If yes to both, then I'd suggest mount the camera on a tripod lens pointing downward. Remove the lens, and trigger the manual sensor clean operation, take a look see inside the body. The mirror and shutter curtains should have moved out of the way revealing the sensor. That would prove the mechanisms are working. Also check your memory card and see if it's got images in it, in case it's just the preview display.

Let us know how you get on

Thanks yes can see through the viewfinder did what u said and all seems fine and working and there is a image being written to the memory card because for example says iso800, shutter speed ,50mm,etc but still a black image could it be the senor has had it? It is an old camera!

Something else you could try, again on a tripod pointing down, remove the lens, set the shutter speed to say 5 seconds, trigger the shutter and see if you can see the sensor whilst the camera is exposing. If so the shutter mechanism is ok. So perhaps the electronics ?? Removing the battery for a while might help..

Archived