Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taking things forward with Skyliner 150 Dob

Hi All,

I hope I might again tap the knowledge of you all here. I've used my above scope 4/5 times now: I have seen Jupiter (once rather well & caught a barge), Saturn (less well), M45/Orion Nebula & Mizar/Perseus double cluster, as well as a smudge of M31 and of course the moon.

My real question is how I should proceed now. In that I want to see more but don't want to go round in circles. Just to give a background to my circumstances: I'm in a town in Lincolnshire, I have problems getting anywhere darker so mostly it's the back garden! There is light pollution, but the zenith, east and south are largely accessible. Maybe I need to look at a better finder, because this is an especial problem at the zenith in particular.

But my real question concerns more equipment & what I should look for next. I wonder if I ought to buy bins first (rather than better eyepieces which I'd like)? This should help refresh me on the constellations. But also what should I look for next? Should most DSO be in the range of this scope? I know this might sound naive but I didn't buy the scope just to look at 6 things because that's all I can find!!

thanks#

Steve

Hi Steve. There is nothing wrong with a 150mm Dob. It should open up the heavens for you. It seems to me that you are not perhaps too well acquainted with the night sky?

In this case i would buy a set of bins (10X50 will be great) and start to learn your way around the night sky. As you learn the main constellations etc, this should give you a better chance of finding DSO's hidden within.

Also, if you dont already have a copy of it i can say that "Turn Left At Orion" is a great book. It s very user friendly map of some of the more interesting things to see in the night sky. It even shows you what they will appear like in your scope.

Hope this helps.

You could start to work your way through the Messier objects to help you do this buy a good book of star charts, the Sky & Telescope pocket sky atlas is excellent.

Your 6" scope will show you plenty of DSO's, the darker the skies the more you will see. I like to pick a constellation and work over it with a low power ep and the star charts by concentrating on small chunks of the sky it will be easier to locate things. Try Auriga it's well placed at the moment and has some very nice open clusters for a start.

If your having problems with the finder try a Telrad or Rigel finder they are very good.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the answer. I guess the answer is yes/no: yes I learned all the constellations in my teens, no I don't seem to have remembered them someone specifically!! So I guess the frustration I've had is that I've felt as though I ought to be able to dive in: but maybe I need to relearn. I'll track down that book as you suggest. I think I just need to slow it maybe & take a systematic approach. But the double cluster was breathtaking, I want more of that. Like I say: I want to take it forward & I'm sure the finder isn't helping so maybe that's another acquisition I should look for.

Steve

I agree very much with the above. You just need a good target list and an atlas. The above will provide that. Binoculars will give you a nice alternative viewing option. Turn Left At Orion lists quite a few double stars, which are definitely worth a shot if you're in a more light-polluted location.

hi Steve

I agree with Paul, a 6" scope (and especially in my opinion a dob) is a good scope and you should be able to see most of the messier objects and many NGC objects even from your back garden. seeing them and seeing detail in them is not the same thing though and many of them will be smudges which are faint and just detectable until you can get to darker skies when they will be a lot better (but still not close to the images you see of course).

I'd recommend two books if you can afford them but they will serve you very well.

1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317

Superb as a pocket guide and possibly all you'll ever need (literally in your life)

2) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-Guide-Astronomical-Wonders-Observer/dp/0596526857/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323384084&sr=1-1 another superb book with a lot more background information.

I'd also recommend a red dot finder of some kind. I prefer Telrads but First Light Optics - Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III or First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight are also very good. these make positioning the scope for star hopping much much easier.

I use my Telrads with a right angle correct image finder which makes for much less neck ache. e.g. First Light Optics - Skywatcher 9x50 Right-Angled, Erecting Finderscope

Obviously what you buy depends on funds etc but hopefully this will give some ideas.

Other eyepieces might help but I think the above will help more initially at least.

Umadog, Moonshane, thanks for the answers, Moonshane no worries, a very useful answer, I guess I need to stop trying to run before I can crawl & start on the basis of locating before detail (though appreciate your point). It's great to have responses that are so encouraging, thanks all!!

Steve

Up until now my method of observing has been unplanned,unsystematic and hit and miss. I enjoy it but its not the most productive way of doing things.

This is all about to change as i have just ordered my first Go-To scope (8" SCT). It should bring some kind of dicipline and order to my observing and let me see things that i just would not have seen otherwise (both because of lack of aperture and planning).

I have found in the past that i have forgotten the most basic of things with regards to observing etc and i have taken a step back for a bit and gone back to basics and relearned what i had forgotten.

I think we all have at one stage or another tried to run before we can walk (within this hobby).

The main thing i need to learn is to relax more and enjoy it. With me its all GO GO GO and i get in a fluster doing the simplest of things like attaching my camera to my 70mm scope. Its fine during the day but outside at night is a different thing and you need to take your time with things because accidents do happen.

Chris,

I was just about to order that on amazon!! The Sky & Telescope I mean. I think the area of the sky approach is cool, it's got the systemised approach I want.

Thanks to both for advice.

Steve

Looking up at the night sky and thinking where are those DSO's can be a bit overwhelming. Pick constellations high up in the sky, these will be out of the murk and light pollution, the beauty of doing this is that as time goes by new constellations will roll into view. In twelve months you could easily know most if not all the visible constellations from your location.

To give you a head start try a planisphere.

I really do not know the summer sky. I very rarely observe between June-Sept. Its my busy season when i have lots of foreign exchange students staying with me and by the time they all come home and i tuck them into bed safely its midnight and then i am tired and there are only 3-4 hrs of dark before the Sun starts to rise............but thats no good to me because i have to be up at 6-7am to prepare breakfast and make sure they all get out of the house on time to make it to school.

Chris

Just to add: that's the real frustration thus far: I feel because I have the outlines I should better at finding stuff, but it can still be overwhelming!!

Steve

Many people here pick one target/constellation and stick with it for 1,2,3 nights until they think they have explored it enough to see the most in it. I like that idea.

There is an excellent book for a constellation by constellation guide to the night sky, it is The Observer's Sky Atlas by E. Karkoschka I don't think you can buy it new but I got a used copy from Amazon market place for a few pounds. It provides what you can see with the naked eye, binoculars and telescope with detailed information for every constellation.

Archived