Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet Lovejoy

Thanks for the heads up Nick, have to have a keen eye to spot that one!

btw, I have some comet Hartley 103p data that is pretty good I think but I am struggling to process it properly, DSS keeps somehow stacking all the background in a weird way which make it look odd when stretched. Any tips?

Cheers

Tim

I use Maxim in two passes, usually median combine on the comet over several hours, and then shoot the same star field the next night or a few hours later and composite the comet back in to the starfield at the correct point..

Incredibly, sungrazing Comet Lovejoy appears to have survived its close encounter with the sun. Lovejoy flew only 140,000 km over the stellar surface during the early hours of Dec. 16th. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory caught the comet emerging from perihelion (closest approach) :icon_salut:

See SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

When do we get a look at this?!

:-)

ben

According to the NASA Horizons website, it's declination doesn't get any further north than -25 degrees till mid Feb 2012, by when it'll have faded to mag 17.

So it looks like we'll have to wait a bit longer for next big one!

Archived