Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C90 Mak or Vixen A80MF???

I have decided I want a 2nd scope that is more suited to planetery photography. My 150P is ok but at F5 not ideal. I have seen the Celestron C90 Mak and the Vixen A80MF over at FLO for what seems like a great deal but im torn between the two. Obviously the C90 has the slower f ratio at 13.9 and is cheaper but will I get better results with the slightly more expensive slightly faster (f 11) Vixen? Anyone have any experience with either?

Steve, I've not got experience of either specifically. Personally, I like refractors. The scopes are about the same weight, but the Mak is a much smaller unit, physically, and that may be better for mounting on the EQ3-2.

Hi Steve, I have the C90 and use it mostly as a day time spotting scope and it does a fine job. I have used on several occasions as a night time grab and go, the EQ3 is more than capable of handling the C90 well. It gives nice sharp views of the moon and jupiter with the supplied 32mm Plossl. Have not tried to image with it yet with my SPC but am sure it would be a capable performer. It comes with its own rucksack which is pretty sturdy, allrounder as far as I am concerned. Am currently searching to see if I can find a focal reducer to fit, as I would like to attach a DSLR to it for some birding.

Im concearned that I may not achieve focus with my SPC. Primarilly the purchase would be for an imaging scope but judging by what you say David it could end up becoming a grab and go too. Thanks for the replies. Would love to hear if anyone has tried webcam imaging with it.

Archived