Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The unthinkable happened! Damage assessment.

I was having trouble adjusting the secondary mirror on my 200P and in a moment of lunacy, I decided to remove the it and check for any obstruction. I loosened the grub screws and thinking it still well attached I let go of the mirror and turned away to hear the thud of the secondary hitting the tube. I did have the presence of mind to level the tube before I started, but unfortunately it wasn't level enough and and all I could do was watch in horror as it rolled away and hit the primary. On close inspection the secondary looks undamaged, however I now have 5 very fine and parallel scratches all within about 12mm^2, located about two mirror clips away from the edge. Does anyone know what impact this might have on my views and imaging and is there anything I can do about it?

Probably little to no effect visually - imaging I suspect the same.

It will have blown the resale value though.

I speak from experience, my 200P has a nice long scratch in it about 15mm long and 2mm wide - it doesn't impact visually nor imaging.

It will have blown the resale value though.
No problem until you come to sell it.

I agree with Kh3ldar and Steve..

Sorry to read about that mate, but it won't make any difference apart from what has already been said - the resale value; unless you intend to keep it?

With any luck the damage will be to the coating only. For a fairly low cost you could have the mirror re-coated.

Several places do it, including Galve Optics in Basildon, Essex and Orion Optics uk (although I am sure that there are others).

If you keep the scope for a few years this is something that you may consider doing anyway.

Glad it wasn't worse!

Cheers

Ant

I was having trouble adjusting the secondary mirror on my 200P and in a moment of lunacy, I decided to remove the it and check for any obstruction. I loosened the grub screws and thinking it still well attached I let go of the mirror and turned away to hear the thud of the secondary hitting the tube. I did have the presence of mind to level the tube before I started, but unfortunately it wasn't level enough and and all I could do was watch in horror as it rolled away and hit the primary. On close inspection the secondary looks undamaged, however I now have 5 very fine and parallel scratches all within about 12mm^2, located about two mirror clips away from the edge. Does anyone know what impact this might have on my views and imaging and is there anything I can do about it?

I think the best thing is to compare your imaging "before and after" the event. Hopefully there wont be anything noticeable, same as visually. As for doing any thing about it, I am no expert but it may be better left alone. Just blow any dust off it and hope for the best, but as said before the resale value has taken a kick up the backside, but that will only be troublesome if you decide to sell it. But on the other hand if you decide to keep it, no real harm done, unless the imaging / visual has been affected. But if all is ok. then it's just another lesson learned.

With any luck the damage will be to the coating only. For a fairly low cost you could have the mirror re-coated.

Several places do it, including Galve Optics in Basildon, Essex and Orion Optics uk (although I am sure that there are others).

If you keep the scope for a few years this is something that you may consider doing anyway.

Glad it wasn't worse!

Cheers

Ant

Excellent, £68 sounds reasonable. I think I will wait a while though, the rest of the mirror is mint.

Archived