Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5-GT better than LXD75 ?

Domis

In terms of performance which do you think would be best? The CG I know is guiding capable but not sure about the LXD. Both are computerized via handsets although different softwares. I'm not sure either could be run from a laptop. I'm considering mounting a St102 or a 6" F/8 newt on it. I don't think either would handle a 8" SCT. My son wants to join me outdoors at night using his own scope but the cheap Cinese mount it came with is not worth me trying to fix any longer. I thought I might get a fairly decent mount and try imaging with it when he's not with me. A heavy enough mount for the 8" will have to wait a while longer. Any thoughts on which way to go?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meade mounts have a reputation of having notoriously unreliable electronics. Both mount should be capable of handling your Newt for imaging planets. Neither are suitable for long exposure astrophotography. You will need a Celestron CGEM or Orion Sirrus (HEQ5) or Atlas (EQ6) for that.

Thanks to all for the input,it would appear that the CG5 has the LXD beat by far. My first thought was the CG5 due to Meade's less than stellar reputation for backing up their products. Your input seems to confirm the choice. It looks like the CG5 it will be. Here in the US the CG can be had for around $600 usd new,does this seem to be a decent price for these mounts? The LXD's can be had for a couple hundred less used but I don't need the potential headaches it offers.

My CG5 works very well, especially for the price. You can autoguide, the nexstar handset works very well, and I have had very little issues technically. I think it could handle a 8"SCT, I dont know if your going to be doing photography with it, but they sell these mounts with 8" Newtonians and they work fine. They listed the weight limit at 35lbs, but you want to stay below that. I think it is a good mount and like you stated, I dont know enough about Meade's products to give an opinion about it.

JohnnyD333,I did not realize the CG5 could handle an 8" scope. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point, although it would probably push the CG to it's limits,especially if guiding. I was saving for a decent mount for the 8" SCT for guided imaging but now that my son wants to come out with me I've decided to get something now which he can use with one of the smaller scopes.

!st problem with the LXD - it is extinct, discontinued. This puts parts support in doubt. I had one and it worked well after hypertuning. The low end celestrons major weakness has been the tripod - slightest bump and you are invited to a telescopic belly dance - you will need a locking tray to stabilize the mount. The Az mount pin is located betwee 2 legs wich is unstable when mounting the OTA and requiring some extra care during setup. The LXD gear motors are far more robust than earlier versions and have been pretty reliable. Both Meade and Celestron use servo motor/encoder gear trains. The Autostar HC and software are the most advanced with Celestron a strong second. Both can be PC controlled both track fairly well, Autostar has some software advantages

The new Mead LX series ( LXD replacement )looks to be interesting contenders. Of coures it's new so you will be an unpaid beta tester. The CG5 is a proved mount within its limitations. You might want to consider either Vixen or Losmandy.

If you are planning to do DSLR long exposure AP, You might want to skip to the next level and get an EQ6 or CGEM ( when they get the buggs worked out ) .

Regards, Gary

JohnnyD333,I did not realize the CG5 could handle an 8" scope. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point, although it would probably push the CG to it's limits,especially if guiding. I was saving for a decent mount for the 8" SCT for guided imaging but now that my son wants to come out with me I've decided to get something now which he can use with one of the smaller scopes.

I use my CG5 with a 6" and a 50mm guidescope and have no technical issues (human error is a different story) but I think you could use the 8" as long as your guidescope is small. Also, I often switch out my larger scope with my small 90mm Mak which is a quarter of the size. You just need a dovetail bar for your other scopes and you can switch them out.

The problem is not with the legs but rather the attachment to the base. They don't lock in place so they wiggle. Meade LXD and CGEM have spreaders that help. Several third parties make trays that lock the legs ( TPASTRO )

You are right, EQ6 is not much better. That's why I put it on a Pier.

Regards, Gary

I'm a bit late in on this thread but just to say that I'm using the CG5 GT and am very happy with it. The tripod is very sturdy, mine did come with a spreader to stabalise the legs and I'm sure it's standard. It's carrying an 8" newt, an 80mm refractor, DSLR and guide camera very happily. Not sure what this lot adds up to weight wise, but the two supplied counterweights are right at the end of the bar, so I reckon it might be near the limit. I'm pulse guiding through the handset and it works just fine.

The main criticism I've seen for the CG5 is that it's noisy when slewing but I haven't found it to be excessively noisy and as I'm imaging, I'll probably only slew a few times during the evening anyway.

I'm a bit late in on this thread but just to say that I'm using the CG5 GT and am very happy with it. The tripod is very sturdy, mine did come with a spreader to stabalise the legs and I'm sure it's standard. It's carrying an 8" newt, an 80mm refractor, DSLR and guide camera very happily. Not sure what this lot adds up to weight wise, but the two supplied counterweights are right at the end of the bar, so I reckon it might be near the limit. I'm pulse guiding through the handset and it works just fine.

The main criticism I've seen for the CG5 is that it's noisy when slewing but I haven't found it to be excessively noisy and as I'm imaging, I'll probably only slew a few times during the evening anyway.

All CG5-GT comes with the spreader/tray, it is the same kind of tray that comes with the EQ and CGEM mounts. I think Voliton must refer to some other kind of spreader solution. And yes it is a bit noisy but only at full RA slew.

It does come with a spreader/tray and noise is of no concern. My nearest neighbor is 1000' away through heavy woods. There are many very secluded sites within 20 minutes of here as well, which offer a much more open veiw of the skies. LP is always an issue here on the US east coast but nothing like what most of you in the UK have to contend with. If the CG helps to keep my son's interest for a good while, I'll be happy with that. If not,I'll sell it and add the funds to the savings for an Orion Atlas or similar.

Both mounts should be capable of handling a 8" SCT. Specs are similar. For $800 Meade is getting ready to ship a new mount that, on paper, is a much more capable one. The LX-80. May be a risk getting a newly released product but I have on on order. If you and your son want to view together, the LX-80 has the cabilities of carrying 2 scopes in its altAz mode. Best of luck!

Thanks Mkofski I'll look into that. When it comes to Meade products I think I'll wait until some kind of track record is realized. It may be worthy though for a "next" mount. Please be sure to post your opinions on that mount when you get it. I'd be interested in reading your first hand evaluation of the mount. I bet many here would be interested as well.

Hi Sparrow, With your CG-5 GT mount how do you set up yours exactly and do you find the bubble level it comes with accurate but what is your set up method as I am having a lot of problems and not sure what I may be doing wrong and also find the NEXSTAR hard work also but also what is the best way to polar align without a polarscope. Many Thanks :)

Leveling a gem mount isn't critical and you can do a rough polar alignment first pointing the the mount to polaris and setting mount latitude to your current location. Then do a 2-star alignment followed by an All-star polar alignment.

had both mounts. cg5 is more versatile with quick align and all star polar align.

the lxd has PEC the cg5 does not. the cg5 tripod has thicker 2inch legs and can be set much higher. cg5 7payload is higher too - can handle an 11 inch SCT for visual. I found the lxd developed annoying play in the ra drive which made viewing planets at high power frustrating. I would recommend the cg5 asgt. note the old cg5 (non asgt) is a different much lesser mount.

had both mounts. cg5 is more versatile with quick align and all star polar align.

the lxd has PEC the cg5 does not. the cg5 tripod has thicker 2inch legs and can be set much higher. cg5 payload is higher too - can handle an 11 inch SCT for visual. I found the lxd developed annoying play in the ra drive which made viewing planets at high power frustrating. I would recommend the cg5 asgt. note the old cg5 (non asgt) is a different much lesser mount.

the lxd has PEC the cg5 does not. the cg5 tripod has thicker 2inch legs and can be set much higher. cg5 payload is higher too - can handle an 11 inch SCT for visual. I found the lxd developed annoying play in the ra drive which made viewing planets at high power frustrating. I would recommend the cg5 asgt. note the old cg5 (non asgt) is a different much lesser mount.

Actually the CG5-AS GT does have PEC but Celestron just dont mention it.

http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope-mounts-forum/111983-celestron-cg5-gt-issues-help.html

Archived