Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the lowest power I can use

blinky

Can somebody tell me how to work out what the lowest power eyepiece I can use in my 8" SCT - either at native F10 or with the F6.3 reducer? I'm thinking of exit pupil size and field stops etc. Basically for the past 5 years i have been more or less totally imaging but have now dedicated my SCT to visual and am wondering if I should sell my 2" 42mm EP as it wont be any use:confused:

Working on a 6mm exit pupil...200/6 = x 34 magnification

This would be equivalent of using a 2000/34 = 58mm eyepiece!

I find the 32mm to be a good realistic compromise with the C9.25/C11....

Wide angle type eyepieces won't change the exit pupil but allow more sky to be seen

Hello, i used to have problems getting focus in some 2" eyepieces with a reducer due to travel, personall i have used without a reducer a 55mm plossl and use my 41 panoptic without issue so should be fine

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

Exit pupil is EP focal length divided by focal ratio, an easy calculation for an F10 SCT! So the 42mm would give a 4.2mm exit pupil, which is definitely not too large unless you are not dark adapted.

If your 42mm is wide angle, I don't think you need to bother with a reducer - it won't let you see any more sky.

My 42mm works great with the C9.25 and gives the maximum field size available.

Forget the reducer. It may lower the f/ratio but can't make the field wider due to the size of the SCT baffle tube. Most reducers have a restricted field stop anyway.

Archived