Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter bands

Well, I saw the bands of colour on Jupiter tonight,Only for a short while between cloud breaks, I am using a Celestron C80 ED, I used an 8mm BST and was quite thrilled, I reckon to get a x2 Barlow and want to spend as little as poss in case i1m gripped and want to get a Dob, Any recommends?

Great ! Jupiter is always a rewarding sight.

If you get a barlow, I would avoid the cheapest. I would rather get a decent higher power eyepiece than a very cheap barlow. Others may say differently, we all have our own preferences, but thats my advice.

Regards, Ed.

I was looking at jupiter wednesday night and had some good views of the 2 bands that go round it and 3 of its moons. Had my telescope just over a week now - skywatcher 127 sync scan telescope. Ive noticed that when i tried to use my barlow x2 and 10 mil i struggled to get a clear image is this because ive pushed my telescope past its magnification limit or that the eye pieces im using are not very good quailty ?

Yeoboy, I agree, don't buy a cheap barlow, you will just be disappointed with the results. Either buy a decent barlow or a decent 4 or 5mm lens, giving x150 or x120 respectively.

As for the Sky max 127, 10mm plus a barlow will give x300 so it's a case of over doing the magnification. Best to keep to between x150 and x200 maximum. Not sure which ep's you've got, but upgrading from standard SW ones will give an improvement.

Stu

hi yeoboy. imlooking at getting myself a couple of the explorers soon.

as for the barlow,IF you were to get one ,id go second hand and for the money you'll get a half decent one. ive just got myself a tal x2 for £20 delivered. it fits the bill for me. however in your case with 5mm/8mm/25mm your only one e/p away from a solid collection ,so i wouldnt see a point in purchasing a barlow. get the 15 or 18mm later on .

Archived