NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

For observing What is a refractor the best telescope?

Kind of a mangled title but I couldn't work out how to phrase it best.

I have a couple of dobs (8" and 12") and a couple of pairs of binoculars (10x50 and 20x80) but I really fancy getting a refractor. I don't really want to buy one suited only for observing objects that the dobs or binoculars are better at. I'm only interested in visual.

I don't find my dobs particularly pleasing when observing double stars. I collimate as best I can but the stars are still a bit blobby -not the fine pinpoints I hear people talk about their refractors. I'm thinking I could get a scope specifically for this but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks

Adrian

If double stars are what your trying to view then a refractor would be a great choice.

Something along the lines of a Tal 100RS or similar (1000mm focal length) would be reasonably priced and perfect for double stars.

I frequently observe double stars with my 102mm f10 refractor and on many occasions split doubles which are only 2 arc seconds separation.

The theoretical maximum is 1.5 arc seconds for this type of scope.

What is your budget, how portable does it need to be. To an extent what do you want in the way of optics.

There are a few 102mm ED's that are good, would advise going for something at the f/7 to f/8 area simply to reduce any CA as much as possible.

Equally there are similar achros at a lot less. Opticstar do a few, although i would avoid the f/5 achros owing to the CA that will be present. They do an 80mm f/7 or f/7.5 at £135. Look at the Telescope Service options on their site.

Dificult to answer. The "best" would be something like a TMB or Astro Physics refractor. Probably starting at £3000 for the TMB's and a 15-20 year waiting list for the good Astro Physics.

I have a WO Megrez 90 and that is a very good all round refractor.

Thanks guys some very interesting replies there. I have looked at that Lyra optics scope before and I'm certainly considering it. I know nothing about mounts (being a dob owner!), what size would work for a scope of that size/weight (visual only)? My budget is £500-£1500+ for scope and mount. What I really want is a telescope to cover an area that my dobs are poor at.

On the more general topic of where refractors outperform reflectors, where do people think they have the advantage:

Doubles

Open Clusters

Widefield

Planets/Moon

Other?

I was facing a similar dilema a couple of months ago. I wanted a refractor for dual imaging and observing and went for the Altiar 115EDT in the end. It's a superb deal (last time I looked) and I've seen the mountain edges on the limb of the moon with it, tha ring neb, tracked Jupiter untill 11am in broad daylight, and split a double double with it. Can't wait to have the time to get imaging with it - some owners have produced pretty stunning pics using the same scope :)

I was facing a similar dilema a couple of months ago. I wanted a refractor for dual imaging and observing and went for the Altiar 115EDT in the end. It's a superb deal (last time I looked) and I've seen the mountain edges on the limb of the moon with it, tha ring neb, tracked Jupiter untill 11am in broad daylight, and split a double double with it. Can't wait to have the time to get imaging with it - some owners have produced pretty stunning pics using the same scope :)

Your advice is always sound and I have often followed it !

Andy

Doubles

Open Clusters

Widefield

Planets/Moon

Other?

All of the above :)

Well to narrow it down I would say refractors excel at lunar/planetary and double stars.

The extra contrast offered by refractors over say a newtonian or any other folded light path telescope like Maks and SCT's is where they come into their place. This is most important for lunar/planetary work.

With no spider vanes holding a secondary mirror also means that splitting doubles are done very cleanly as there is no light diffraction.

Before anyone chimes in and say a dob will beat it on resolution I am comparing scopes of similar aperture. :)

Archived