SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any advice? - A bit of future planning...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seriously tony you really want one with at least 3000mm hydrostatic rating (how water proof it is)! You know how wet me and the misses got....................well that was in a 2000mm tent like that link and we were soaked! At least with jamies its 3000mm and its got a sewn in groundsheet! Seriously though if you want some thing good you.................................get what you pay for! Honestly mate, you want something that you know is gonna keep you warm and dry! Your choice though!

Hope this helps

Darren

Mark out the sleeping area on the living room floor.

Then get all your camping gear, clothes, scope, EP's, etc. out and lay it in the marked area.

Then you get in the marked area.

How much room do you have left?

seriously tony you really want one with at least 3000mm hydrostatic rating (how water proof it is)! You know how wet me and the misses got....................well that was in a 2000mm tent like that link and we were soaked!

I have used this to waterproof my flysheet before and got absolutely no leakage even in very heavy storm conditions (a mini river had come through the porch area but no water through the flysheet). Only to be used on non-breathable fabric (i.e. not the inner tent). One word of advice though - use gloves when you apply it as your hands will end up waterproof too!!!

http://www.blacks.co.uk/blacks.storefront/product/094740.aspx?searchbreadcrumbs=nikwax

HTH

Bill£ :)

Darren and er.. Darren, good points well made. Wouldn't you leave your astro gear in your car though Daz? Assuming that it's nearby....

TBH I'm just having trouble justifying spending somewhere around £200 on camping gear (presuming I bought something like Jamie's tent) when I could get a crayford and a right angle finder. Both items I would really like. Decisions, decisions.... :?

easy tony.....just think what do i need now and what do i need for the next star party.. your answer, well ,stuff for the telescope now and save up each week between now and the next party for your tent, or vice versa! TBH you can justify both purchases, but if i were you i would treat myself to some astro gear stuff first and then get the tent next month or something

Choice is yours mate

Darren

Jamie's one man palace is a quality item no doubt, I've seen it for about £125.

What about this one? Looks like it's pretty sturdy...

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Product.aspx?Product=Gelert_Stratus_3&ProductID=566

Hi Whippy

That tent looks ok BUT it doesn't have a sewn in ground sheet.

which means you have to lay the gound sheet in the living area.

This can get a bit wet if you have some bad weather.

If you can help it go for "3000 ha(hydrostatic head) and a sewn in ground sheet"

These are minimum requirements for a good tent.

Yeah I didn't spot the lack of a sewn in groundsheet, I guess that's why it's at the cheaper end of Gelert's range, better keep looking... Still, I've been offered a tent on loan for Kelling (Thanks Greg! :)) so I don't need to spend too much cash over the summer on camping gear. Maybe if I bat my eyelashes at my wife long enough, that Utah 4+4 could be mine before SGL4. That did get a few admiring looks, including one from me. Jamie, you should give Gelert a call and get some commission mate! I think they're going to sell a few more of those in the next couple of months..I wonder how much human kidneys are worth on the black market?

Darren, I thought you had pretty much everything bar a tent that didn't leak at the first sign of a cloud! Or am I missing something?

i have got everything (except the tent which is arriving wednesday) utah 4+4 yeah baby! Why do you ask?

I couldn't work out if you've got a camping shopping list or a astro list...I'm still catching on sleep from the weekend!

Tony,

The tent you are borrowing for Kelling has a built in ground sheet and survived the World Superbikes at Brands Hatch a few years ago...We had conditions similar to Wales at the weekend...

I will help you put it up..(Here we go!) The outer must not touch the inner or it will leak...It has 2 porches, one at each end for wet gear..Not that it will rain at Kelling.. :)

If you are considering taking your family camping on these trips then wait a year and buy the best tent you can...Spend the extra £100 on a really good one will pay dividends..

If you're on your own and wet, it ain't too bad..If the kids and wife are wet...You'll never here the end of it.

I was speaking to L'missus earlier about this and she's not keen on the camping thing at all until the boys are older. I wouldn't have heard the end of it if her and the boys were in that static me and Kevin had at the weekend, so her in a tent possibly getting a little damp? Nah. Not going to happen (yet). TBH you could give me a glorified bin liner propped up on poles and I'd be happy for Kelling (that's not a suggestion by the way!), as long as it keeps me dry I'm more than happy with that. You've just got to put up with my coffee machine!

At least is aint an LX200..... :shock:

Bide you time...My wife wouldn't have gone near a caravan 4 years ago....It was all long haul and Sandals adults only..

You wait.. :)

I hope so mate, I really do as the kids would love it and I'm sure one good trip and she'd be hooked. But for now, I'm more than happy to get out of the house for the weekend! :hello1:

As for Nikwax....All my motorbike gear is covered in the stuff..Superb..

Pick a good weekend with good weather and visit Devon...then if the weather's a bit iffy you can cop a squat at my place.. :)

Cheap cream teas and cider :D

Good tip, when it rains, pour fairy liquid over your worst friends tent and watch what happens. Anyways, i remember a few years ago there used to be a tent used by the RAF Mountain rescue teams called a force 10, bright orange in colour all correctly sewn in sheets with as little stiching as possible, double insulated zips and a fly sheet that sits around 5 inches from the main tent. A luggage area at both the front and the rear of the tent and so light one person can carry it and the poles plus all there other kit in a good rucksack. They can withstand some horrendous weather. In my opinion go to an army surplus store and ask them, or use some of the surplus sites on line.

Also try and get a tent where it forms a v or an A shape and where the poles are inside and not outside, this eases lift and drag and also prevent water ingress where the poles touch the tent itself.

Archived