Forums helped with first night's viewing

Brand new to astronomy I gambled on saving a bit of money and picked up a second hand (3 months old) Skyliner 200p Dobsonian with enough of a saving to pick up a few accessories for the same price as a new one. It only came with the 25mm original eyepiece but I still couldn't resist giving it a try when I got home late last night after the 5 hour round trip.

It was already constructed so I slotted the tube onto the base, fixed the finderscope in place and pushed the 25 mm eyepiece into position. The first thing on my mind was Jupiter which was bright and obvious high to the south. The finderscope seemed horribly out of focus, not sure if they're just like that or if I need to adjust it somehow. There wasn't an obvious way to focus it. It was still easy to centre a blurred Jupiter however.

I was actually quite nervous about looking into the eyepiece for some reason but it was a massive disappointment when I did. All I had was a small black disc in front of a larger bright white disc. I twiddled the focus both ways without effect, I tried pointing the scope around different parts of the sky but nothing recognisable as a star appeared. Back to Jupiter with the same result as before no matter what I did. I had that horrible sinking feeling that I'd made a big mistake.

Before giving up I tried Google without much luck, then I tried a search for "black disc" on these forums and came across http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/153294-first-light-my-first-scope.html which convinced me that it must be a focus issue. I tried again and wound the focus what seemed a long, long way and suddenly the white and black discs began to shrink until there it was. I could see the moons lined up and a couple of horizontal bands. Jupiter was very bright, almost too bright. I spent about 90 minutes following it across the sky and just pointing the telescope at random stars.

Apart from reinforcing to me how useful the forums here are I learned a few other lessons before succumbing to tiredness about 1am. Firstly I'm going to be a pirate amateur astronomer, an eyepatch is top of my wanted list to try and stop the need for squinting. Secondly I'm going to need to find out a lot more about eye relief and field of view and things like that as I think viewing comfort is going to be an important issue to me. Thirdly I can't rely on Google Sky Map on my phone, the GPS has stopped working recently and the orientation now seems to be erratic, so I guess I need a planisphere?

Now it's a case of buying my first batch of accessories, I'm thinking of a Skywatcher 7-21mm zoom eye piece, a planisphere and perhaps a moon filter to start me off.

Thanks to SGL forums for saving my night

Hi Brian,

First off congrats on your new scope.

You might like to download Stellarium a great free planatarium to help you find your way around.

Pleased to see you sorted out your focus problem, everything seems so difficult when you start out - bit like driving a car :)

I don't have the same finder scope as you but I think the focus is the same, you unscrew the front ring and then the thin ring behind can be turned to move the front lens element to get focus, then re-tighten the front ring.

Pleased that like me you found SGL a great help.

Good luck and enjoy.

Another vote for stellarium its free and has lots of features to help you find your way around. Also agree with the moon filter - I spent a while looking at the moon last week without mine fitted and when I looked from the eyepiece I thought I was going blind :)

Hi Brian.

Having been out on a few nights to discover kit problems and kick the scope, here is a tip. Set up during the day!

Seriously, if you point the scope at a distant object, then you can align the finder to the scope, sort your finder focus issues and sort your eyepiece fitting and scope focus issues. So much easier in daylight.

You don't need a clear sky. If you are looking at objects a few hundred metres away, it can even be misty!

Yes - I'll follow the advice and take a look at the finderscope focussing during the day.

Have installed Stellarium and it looks great, am thinking now I need to get a new battery for my laptop so I can have it to hand outside. These days I have to use it on mains as the battery lasts 5 minutes.

Will a planisphere allow me to pick out an object at a particular time and date?

Bearing in mind I only have a 25mm eyepiece at the moment does anyone have any recommendations for when the clouds clear?

Am I right to go for a 7-21mm Skywatcher zoom given I'm on a budget?

Have installed Stellarium and it looks great, am thinking now I need to get a new battery for my laptop so I can have it to hand outside. These days I have to use it on mains as the battery lasts 5 minutes.

Will a planisphere allow me to pick out an object at a particular time and date?

Hi

A planisphere may well help but a laptop will ruin your night vision, even with a red screen overlay, so leave it indoors and print your maps out, and read them with a very dim red light.

Regards Steve

Hi Brian, welcome to SGL. Great start out for you, well done, you have many pleasurable nights to come. So, a Moon filter, I recommend an ND96 0.09, its a neutral density filter and only reduces the light, whereas some filters give a colour hue/bias. On the Sky Watcher 7-21mm zoom, I would recommend the 8-24mm, though I realize it is more expensive, but better made. Having said that, I wouldn't use a zoom myself although I have bought and tried both SW ones, they have a narrower FoV usually. I much prefer individual ep's, as I am able to buy ones that suit my individual needs at certain focal lengths. Target your purchases for what you want to see is my recommendation.

The Baader Neutral Density Moon filters are excellent, but a bit more expensive, as you say, you get what you pay for, but the Astronomica ones a great if you are on a tight budget, I use mine all the time when viewing the Moon.

Archived