Might seem like a stupid question, but.....

I'm new to all this and some of you more seasoned may laugh at this, but hey I need to learn. So I have set my new scope up (which arrived today, YAY) anyway, this Cap here do I remove it totally when I go out, or just remove that small cap?

IMAG0012.jpg

There are no stupid questions so don't worry.

For normal viewing remove the cap completely, you can use your scope with just the small cap removed when you look at a nearly full moon if you find it too bright.

Looks like I'm slow as usual :)

Both of them are dust caps (one on the bottom half of tube, other on top half). Assuming you've got one on the top half - my flextube has.

I have one dust cap which looks like a shower cap, the other end hasn't got one its just like glass

For normal viewing remove the cap completely, you can use your scope with just the small cap removed when you look at a nearly full moon if you find it too bright.

:)

Agreed, I tried this the other night to increase the contrast on Jupiter as it was very bright in my dob.

I have one dust cap which looks like a shower cap, the other end hasn't got one its just like glass

Ok, the big lid in your photo is a solid dust cap, and at the other end of that tube the glass you can see is presumably the reverse of the primary mirror (which is fine, it doesn't have a cover).

Ok, the big lid in your photo is a solid dust cap, and at the other end of that tube the glass you can see is presumably the reverse of the primary mirror (which is fine, it doesn't have a cover).

Awesome, thanks. I'm hoping that work isn't very busy tonight so that they send me home early, so, if weather permitting I can test it out tonight. We had a super clear night last night, hoping its gonna be like that

Alright another question lol, I just thought I'd try to attach one of the eyepieces, but where I attach them too, there a screw that screws out so you can hold them in place, now I havn't got a problem with that, what I have a problem is that theres another much smaller screw, that dosn't screw out, and I can't get my eyepieces in because of it?

The eyepiece holder looks like its 1.25" and offset (i.e. not central)to me, did your scope come with any more eyepiece holders, I would expect a Skywatcher to have both 1.25" and 2" versions.

To get the best possible views you will need one which looks centrally down the focuser tube.

Archived