Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 a year on

Quatermass

Remember imaging the Orion Nebula last year and being really blown away by it when I first saw it in the camera. I have learned a lot since last year and had another attempt at it a few days ago between cloudy nights. I would love to do a big mosaic of the whole area but clouds are proving to be a bit stubborn :)

Orion%252520N.JPG

Details for this image.. Skywatcher 200p on EQ5 mount with single RA drive. Camera used is a canon 350d second hand from ebay for 130.00 quids.

68 main shots with the ISO set at 800 and varied timings from 30 seconds to 50 seconds to 60 seconds. Then took 30 Darks at 50 seconds iso 800 with the lid on the scope. Then placed a white cloth over the end and using my camera tripod moved a 24 led torch in front of it to take the 30 lights and lastly 30 bias/offset shots at fastest shutter speed. All stacked in deep sky stacker and finished off in photoshop cs5. Used levels then curves followed by increasing saturation in the colours with Hide all layer masks. Reduced stars and applyed a small unsharp filter.

Orion was up about 11.30 right at the back of my garden that backs on to a big meadow where there is no light pollution from the street lights at the front of my house. Dark skies make a world of difference.

Im currently posting a few photoshop tutorials and other helpful tips on my blog under the heading of lets do astrophotography now if you want to have a look. Hoping it will help others as its a kind of diary of what I am learning as I go along. Excuse my spelling mistakes please I am dyslexic and it happens ok.

Photoshop is great for those long evening when the cloud comes in you can spend ages working on your old subs and improving your editing skills.

Current favourite xbox games include Batman Arkham City Bio Shock 2 and Dead space 2 also great for when the clouds spoil your fun...

I think the key james is a dark sky the photography side is pretty easy using a timer and my polar alignment was fairly quick. I tryed this last year from a town centre location but it didnt come out well. Its also good to practise on first as that gives you a good feel for your subject. Hoping the sky clears this weekend for a crack at the horse head nebula

Theres a good article on it in dec sky at night mag

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Archived