NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

viewing planets

is it true that refractors are better for planets than reflectors?

and why?

thanks

Depends which planets. Mars is high up around 5am these days, so an alarm-clock works best for me :)

Jokes aside and all things being equal, yes, as no photons are being lost reflecting the light off the two mirrors plus remember the central obstruction.

I think most scope designs can do excellently on planets provided they are in good collimation. I've had superb views on nights of really good seeing conditions with refractors, maksutov-cassegrains, maksutov-newtonians, newtonians and schmidt-cassegrains. The one thing those scopes has in common was they were in excellent collimation.

It is said that "the best telescope is the one you use most often...."

Certainly small refractors and Maks require no collimation and are relatively portable - grab 'n go -, therefore may end up getting used more often, and are thus "best".

chris

No.

- and that's according to one of the world's best refractor designers.

See here <click>

Well I for one will take his word for it, and with his (tongue in cheek maybe) comment on size....

If you can only afford a 6"or 7" instrument, don't despair that you will not see anything. I know some top planetary amateurs who regularly observe with those apertures and have seen amazing detail on the planets.
it would appear that a 10" dob would be the starting point for 'serious' visual.

Paul

Archived