Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

has anyone got one of these chairs ?

Has anyone got one of these chairs I am 6.2" tall and use a LX90 SCT scope will this do the job or should I be looking at something different maybe a TV chair ? this is the chair I was thinking of

Thanks guys and gals

Skywatcher Observing Chair

skywatcher_observing_chair.jpg

I've got one incoming I feel its a must. I currently take two chairs out side one high stool from the kitchen and one low chair from the table. It's so much nicer to be sat when observing and if your comfertable and you head is still you can take in a lot more detail of what ever you are looking at.

I use and ironing chair from amazon for £16 - and the misus can use it too for ironing lol :)

and Lidl and possibly Aldi also do them a couple of times a year for £15 or so.

£90!!!!!!!! someone is having a larf!

Whats the max weight for the Skywatcher? Are they proper sturdy?

Officially? It's about 14 stone. But that's very, very conservative.

I'm about 21 stone, and it feels solid as a rock under my lardy bum :)

we just got two and set one high for me and the other low for her indoors :)

Ah... I think this is where the strength in the Sky-Watcher design lies, because during observing (on a tracking mount) you want to be able to have continuous adjustment throughout the observing session.

The instant, in-the-dark adjustment is the ace in the hole of the Sky-Watcher chair - or at least it is now that the safety issue is resolved.

£90! That's nearly a new Hyperion :cool:

I was very reluctant to spend so much - but my wife was very accommodating and actually encouranged me to do so. 12 months down the line and I have to say that I count it amongst my very best astronomy purchasing decisions.

Thanking you all for the comments, taken it all in

never even thought of the weight I just under 18 stone thanks Tony and Greatbear

Kim thanks for you comment I've only got a little home and it's filling up Quick, one chair would have to do all and I would have to get it in to a car and the boot is small compaired to a Mondeo, so I think if these are the new design and you think there good I think I will get one Vince think there good as well

so once again thank you all

I just got a new skywatcher one and tried it out last night.

I had been using an ironing stool the downside of which was having to unscrew a bolt to adjust the seat height. The skywatcher's design is supposed to allow you to adjust just by lifting the seat. Ive only used it the once but i have to say it didnt perform as well as i was hoping. The new widget that connects a spring to the seat gets caught up with the sliding seat, perhaps i havent mounted it quite right? The bolt and nut holding the spreader at the bottom came off during my observing session, fortunately i noticed before i sat down again because that could have caused a fall.

Not 100% convinced so far... Will try again another night though

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Thanks for letting me know about your problems with the chair, I will hold off buying it until you tell me other wise , it may take you a few nights out to get used to it

it's a shame that a company like skywatcher as allowed there self to put there name to this chair with out giving it a years test , they could see a hole in the market and rush it out and this is there second attempt or am I wrong ? how hard can it be to design a chair fit for purpose

I have seen a few people recommend a drummers stool, goes up and down and cheaper , anyone tried this and can recommend or not

Great Bear I take it that you have the prototype version one do you use it at dark sites or just at home ?

Thanks alots

Doug

Great Bear I take it that you have the prototype version one do you use it at dark sites or just at home ?

I've got the original version before it was re-released recently as announced in this thread here <click>

To cut a long story short, I liked the chair but realised that someone like my father could very easily have a serious accident with it. I spoke to someone in the European H&S Executive who confirmed that it breached the legal safety requirements for sale in the UK, and I passed this information on to the importer who withdrew it for sale.

So it's now been re-released with a safety mechanism to stop the seat pad clattering to the floor. I'm not familliar with how effective this is.

I do use mine both at home and when camping, but I've forbidden anyone else to use it without supervision and - even knowing the issue - my wife's had the seat pad clatter to the floor and had me catch her only just in time. So I definitely wouldn't recommend the older, unmodified version to anyone.

• 3 weeks later...
I just got a new skywatcher one and tried it out last night.

I had been using an ironing stool the downside of which was having to unscrew a bolt to adjust the seat height. The skywatcher's design is supposed to allow you to adjust just by lifting the seat. Ive only used it the once but i have to say it didnt perform as well as i was hoping. The new widget that connects a spring to the seat gets caught up with the sliding seat, perhaps i havent mounted it quite right? The bolt and nut holding the spreader at the bottom came off during my observing session, fortunately i noticed before i sat down again because that could have caused a fall.

Not 100% convinced so far... Will try again another night though

Adrian

I've used the chair the last 4 nights (four nights observing in a row wow!) and despite not being perfect I think it does the job well. The seat is comfortable, stable and adjusts to a very good range of heights. Moving the seat down sometimes the widget gets caught but most of the time it is smooth enough. I definitely prefer it to the ironing chair I had been using - I cannot see that getting a look in now.

I'm surprised how wonky it is, nothing seems very square but this doesnt seem to compromise performance. As I say it gets stuck a bit sometimes but a yank sorts it out. So for a relatively expensive item I feel a bit... underwhelmed but

it works and has made observing more comfortable and pleasant.

Adrian

Don't have / not sure about the SkyWatcher chair to be honest, but I did spend a stoopid amount on the Smart Seat from: Smart-Seat Observing Chair made in Japan

Which, so far seems well made and feels safe and stable in use.

I think the chair that CanesVenatici has bought looks good though, even if it is another expensive option like mine!

Doc

Don't have / not sure about the SkyWatcher chair to be honest, but I did spend a stoopid amount on the Smart Seat from: Smart-Seat Observing Chair made in Japan

Which, so far seems well made and feels safe and stable in use. I think the chair that CanesVenatici has bought looks good though, even if it is another expensive option like mine!

Doc

True enough, but the Skywatcher chair isn't that much cheaper at £80, and actually looks like it offers poorer value given its design faults and the fact it was probably made for a couple of quid in China.

Hoe does the saying go? "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten". :)

Archived