Canon 350 or 1000d?

I've had a look at the 1100d (in Curry's) and I don't like the look of it personally, I'm sure it's a very good camera, but it looks a bit too 'plasticky.' I am also on a budget and can't afford the hefty asking price for a brand new unit, that's why I was looking at a reasonably priced 350d as I have heard good reviews about them. Either that or maybe a 400/450d will suffice - decisions, decisions! lol

I know my friend has had to abandon his 350 now he has a new laptop with Windows 7 - no driver support. A good camera in its time but prone to amp glow.

Everything I have read and heard would confirm that the 1000D is superior in results to the 350 - far less amp glow. I know Canon have now replaced the 1000D with the 1100D and from what I can remember, its main advantage for astro work is that the RAW files are 14 bit instead of the 12 bit RAWs with the 1000D (can't be 100% sure about this - going on memory).

Both good cameras as mentioned above. I agree with most all of what's been said. The 350D and 1000D can still be had for a very reasonable price second hand these days. I favour the 350D only cos mines mod'd and her indoors wont let me mod the 1000D cos she uses it for twitching lol. But I'll get the 1100D when I need a pc upgrade unless I've gone narrow band by then. :D

I had a 1000d which I was very happy with and then got a 550d because I was getting into high def movies( daytime not stars) .

Recently I broke the usb port on the 550d (tripped over the cable in the dark!) The camera stil works fine but no usb so useless for remote astro pics.

I bought a new 1100d for not much more money than repairing the 550 would have cost. So far I'm very happy with it. I agree it feels a little less solid than the more expensive canons but it has live view, low noise, hd movie and good software when linked to a computer. The only downside is low multiple exposure rate but that isn't an issue with astro.

I would add to my previous comment the 350D was released in 2006? Since then the huge investment in sensor quality has been massive and imho no one should consider the 350D for anything other than a piece of history or a paper weight. They still work and produce pictures but you will quickly want to move on to a modern body.

Archived