Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

27mm panoptic or 31mm baader aspheric

thunderchild

i am having trouble deciding which of these would be more beneficial i my flex 300.my head says the 31mm aspheric because of price but my head says 27mm panoptic. I would like to know your honest opinion as too which would be better. thanks in advance.

I would probably try to go with something with a wider fov, 31mm is a large exit pupil in your scope, 6.2mm and the 27 gives 5.4mm so a but more acceptible..

if you want to get the most fov you get from your scope you might consider a 82 degree eyepiece

the baader will also struggle a bit at f5, its gotta be worth the extra

The Panoptic will show sharp stars across all of it's 68 degree field wheras the Aspheric will show astigmatism towards the field edges at F/5.

Wide angle is even better though, IMHO, but the 26mm or 31mm Naglers can really dent the wallet !.

I haven't tried a panoptic, but i tried an aspheric in a 300 flextube last week, and it was nothing short of epic. Crystal clear edge to edge, and felt like i could climb in there and walk around! Really comfortable and great views, everyone there that night loved it.

(i also heard some of the more knowledgables mention it was better than the panoptic, which suffer from some field curvature, but i wouldn't know tbh)

Maybe an UWAN/Nirvana 28mm?

I received mine yesterday but have yet to use it in my 8" f6 dob. It should give a reasonably-sized exit pupil in your 'scope and provide a great ultra-wide FOV, correction is supposed to be very good even at fast focal ratios as well but I have yet to verify this in my middle of the road dob.

Yeah I would agree also.

I upgraded from a 36mm Baader Hyperion Aspheric to a Panoptic 35mm and the difference was night and day.

For me the 36mm Aspheric gave poor performance on my refractor with noticeable astigmatism off axis.

By comparison the Panoptic was sharper and more contrasty with no astigmatism present.

Only down side is the Panoptic is twice the weight and size of the Baader eyepiece.

I haven't tried a panoptic, but i tried an aspheric in a 300 flextube last week, and it was nothing short of epic. Crystal clear edge to edge, and felt like i could climb in there and walk around! Really comfortable and great views, everyone there that night loved it.

(i also heard some of the more knowledgables mention it was better than the panoptic, which suffer from some field curvature, but i wouldn't know tbh)

Same here. I really liked my 31mm Bader and the views were great in my 10" dob. The don't seem to work to well in refractor F/8.3(may have been the long focal length not the scope design) but the views I got in my F/4.8 were crisp and had a good natural colour to the stars. What I liked most is it was a very light EP in comparison to some long FL EP's on the market.

Maybe an UWAN/Nirvana 28mm?

I received mine yesterday but have yet to use it in my 8" f6 dob. It should give a reasonably-sized exit pupil in your 'scope and provide a great ultra-wide FOV, correction is supposed to be very good even at fast focal ratios as well but I have yet to verify this in my middle of the road dob.

I can verify that the 28 UWAN is an excellent eyepiece. I sold my 35mm Panoptic as the UWAN (at least to my eyes) matched it optically but with a larger fov and with the added bonus of much better contrast due to the shorter f/l.

Archived