Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ADM Dual Saddle upgrade for EQ5 and CG5 series mounts

FLO

The ADM Dual Saddle Upgrade for HEQ5 and EQ6 Series mounts have proved very popular so we are pleased to announce ADM now offer one for Skywatcher EQ5 and Celestron CG5 series mounts.

Don't be swayed by similar looking products with different colour anodising. This is the original and BEST dual-saddle upgrade made to a high standard from premium grade aluminium and stainless steel.

ADM Dual Saddle upgrade for EQ5 and CG5

adm-saddle-adapter-eq5-cg5.jpg

Would this upgrade fit a Vixen GPDX mount with Starbook S motor?

The motor attachment point looks different from the standard pluck. From this photo the ADM upgrade doesn't appear to have the recess in a normal GP/EQ5. I wonder if this would affect the motor attachment.

I think using a single bolt to lock the dovetail is the weakest part of the standard GP style mount. I'm certainly very interest in getting one if it is compatible with GPDX and it motors.

Well worth upgrade on the HEQ5, can only imagine it's as good on the EQ5 :D

One question though, why is it £20 cheaper?!

Where we can we set the price of new products lower than normal until they become established.

HTH :icon_salut:

• 1 month later...

Ive installed mine on the cg5 goto I have, now it looks a lot better & handles the weight of the ota with no problem with the losmandy connection. The scope now is much easier to balance.

The mount is currently outside in 30mph wind.

Nadeem

Just as a point of interest the unit looks to locate on the three screw fixing on the top of the CG5 GOTO, be careful when you slacken the socket screw in the slotted part, as this holds in place the dec drive motor underneath and you may disengage it, you may then need to remove the plastic housing in order to re-mesh the drive, just a thought :)

I'm sorry to report that this ADM saddle and pluck is not compatible with Vixen motors.

The distance between the ADM motor mounting groves to the dec clutch is around 58mm. The Vixen MT1 motor is 58mm thick, so the motor jams the dec clutch when inserted. The Starbook's dec motor is 6mm thick, so it would not fit at all.

I think the ADM pluck's motor mounting groove is too shallow. It's only 3mm deep, while the EQ4/5/GPDX pluck's motor mounting grove is around 7mm deep. I haven't got my calliper with me so I couldn't get a more accurate measurement. I will do that when I get them back from work next week.

It is a shame really, because the ADM pluck fits my GPDX better than the EQ4 pluck. I think a mount like the GPDX can really benefit from this saddle upgrade.

Now I have to decide whether I want to return this to FLO, or keep them and look for a EQ5 Synscan upgrade. I was planning to replace the SBS on my GPDX with a SS2K in the new year if I find one in the used market, now I may have to reconsider.

I'm sorry to report that this ADM saddle and pluck is not compatible with Vixen motors.

To be fair it wasn't designed for and isn't sold for use with the Vixen mounts. It is intended for the Celestron CG5 and Skywatcher EQ5 series.

We'll pass on your findings to Anthony as he might be able to modify it in a way that will enable it to fit Celestron, Skywatcher and Vixen mounts.

If you haven't already please contact our Helpdesk to arrange return and refund.

HTH,

Steve :)

Indeed. It wasn't the Vixen mount that was the problem. The Vixen mounts are dimensionally identical to the Synta clones. I swap the pluck/saddle of my GPDX and EQ4 routinely, and the ADM will install on both.

The problem comes from the Vixen motors, which must be larger than Celestron CG5's. I understand if ADM designed the upgrade for a CG5-GT, so it's understandable they don't known about the larger Vixen motors. Therefore it make sense to reduce the distance between the saddle and the RA shaft by shaving off a few mm.

I've already arranged to return it. I've also attached some photos illustrating the problem with that e-mail.

Just out of interest, what is the thickness of a EQ5 Synscan dec motor between the top of the mounting dovetail and the side facing the counter weight? If it is thicker than 57mm, I don't think that will fit either.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived