Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

polaris transit ...

hemihaggis

eh yes im quite sure ...... why would i not be ......

thanks for the soft ware steve .. perfect

i dont get it either? if polaris is almost stationary and the stars rotate around it ( from our perspective) id have thought there would be no transit .

put me right please,so i understand what you mean.:icon_salut:

i dont get it either? if polaris is almost stationary and the stars rotate around it ( from our perspective) id have thought there would be no transit .

put me right please,so i understand what you mean.:icon_salut:

The fact is that Polaris isn't exactly at the pole, which is crucial when it comes to accurately polar aligning your scope. It is about 0.75 degree from it, and rotates around it like all the other stars. You need to know when it is transiting so that you can accurately locate the true position of the pole. It's not particularly significant for visual work, but crucial for imaging

Yes, the fact that Polaris is not exactly at the NCP is important if you want to accurately polar align, especially if imaging unguided (like me). I had to check against the RA of Polaris, in order to correctly set the rotational position of the graticule in my (Vixen) polar scope, on initial installation. Ever since then, aligning on Polaris has been a doddle: simple set the RA setting circle to the current date and time, and position Polaris over the appropriate mark on the graticule.

For the record, Polaris is at RA 02h 31m 49s. If you can do the maths you can work out for yourself!

Archived