Cloud movements on Jupiter animation

Jupiterholic

So for a few weeks I've been thinking how cool it would be to be able to make an animation of the actual clouds moving on Jupiter, instead of just a standard 'rotation' animation. Then it occurred to me that I actually have 3 shots where the GRS was central taken on 2nd September, 28th September and 20th October. so roughly 3 week intervals. By combining these 3 and doing some animation wizardry I ended up with this. Which shows 3 things quite well:

How the barges move in the northern equatorial belt. How the white cloud develops around the GRS and how fast the small white storms in the southern polar hood move as these are so fast they didn't animate. They zip round so quickly. I hope to be able to add to this with any further shots I get when the GRS is centrally placed.

So here it is:

post-22195-133877684202_thumb.gif

very nice animation, been wanting to do one as well ever since I saw the Voyager pictures of the animation around the GRS (go to Wikipedia GRS). I didn't have enough pictures where the GRS is centered though. very nice work! cool stuff!

That's a really interesting way of showing it, great idea and already showing plenty.

I think this has the potential to show many of the different dynamics of the planet, how the different belts rotate at different speeds and the formation of the barges etc.

Keep at it, should develop into a great project

Stu

This is awesome, really can't wait to see this progress, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase stick with it!

Also, your description of "animation wizardry" reminded me of

. :D

haha, that link made me literally 'lol'. Now people are looking at me strangely. Very good. I love how they zoom into the eye and it even changes angle. If only photoshop could do that my day job would be a lot easier. :)

Anyway, I will indeed stick with this, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a significantly lengthened version any time soon. Remember it took almost 2 months, a lot of sleepless nights and careful GRS chart watching to get just 3 shots of it on the meridian. So I think Cloud movements on Jupiter2, The Barges Strike Back could be some time coming. :o

Archived