NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Televue Ethos

Apparently Televue displayed a prototype eyepiece series called "Ethos" which will raise the bar on the naglers. The Ethos line of eyepieces will have a 100 degree FOV and an estimated 13-15mm eye relief. No idea when they will come to market, but people will more money than sense will be selling their naglers to get hold of these I guess!

That will give the poor souls on "Cloudynights" who already own all the TV plossls, panoptics, radians AND naglers (even where their focal lengths are duplicated) something else to collect.

John

I wonder if 100 degrees is just too much field width ?. I have a couple 84 degree eyepieces and I struggle to see the edge of field with them - and I don't wear glasses. Personally I find 70 degrees a really nice wide field size - immersive but comfortable.

John

Now, if only they made a 25mm / 100 Deg in 2" Format...

Now that would be interesting and well worth a look through! I'm still happy with the 70o I get from my Pentax eyepiece, good thing too as I can't afford a Nagler.

I think that nagler have been really rattled by the Pentax xw and thay are having to "hype" a new product to claw some attention back. The nagler Ethos may well prove to be the eyepiece that never was.

However why is it that pentax do not have to advertise the XW?

Seems a bit of an odd market. Almost like the "guitar thing", where every 14 y.o. (nowadays) seems to have a Fender or Gibson. Similarly though, the Far East seems to produce perfectly servicable clones etc., for mere mortals - Or those concious of their inability to appreciate the (not always clear) differences. Perhaps we'll see a retro/minimalist (pre-"distressed"!) revival - Huyghenian, Kellner... anyone? :D

Perhaps we'll see a retro/minimalist (pre-"distressed"!) revival - Huyghenian, Kellner... anyone? :D

The TMB Mono's were an older design produced to modern standards and seem to be very popular high power eyepieces.

I reckon there would be a market for a well corrected, widefield eyepiece that uses as few lens elements as possible to maximise light transmission. Perhaps a modified Kellner design usilising quality glass and multicoatings. In many ways an eyepiece that can produce good quality wide field images using only 3 elements is more of an achievement than one that uses 7 or more elements IMHO.

John

Mono's give an incredibly sharp image at the cost of a tiny AFOV. The Huygenian, which these days must be the worst eyepiece design you can get, gives you a mediocre image, an AFOV of about 35deg, a pinhole eye lens and hardly any eye relief.

Archived