Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Atik 420L and 450L cameras

FLO

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you must be able to set longer exposures to take the advantage of the bigger dynamic range and to counterbalance higher read out noise. If you can do that - cam with bigger well will work better for you (in theory).

And about 4000 squares... CMV4000 - CMOSIS - this square is cool too. I wonder how it would perform as a cooled long exposure camera.

Will they work with Win7? Atik don't seem to support anything past XP, which is a little short sighted (and not an invitation to start a 'XP is better because...' discussion!)

TheThing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will they work with Win7? Atik don't seem to support anything past XP, which is a little short sighted (and not an invitation to start a 'XP is better because...' discussion!)

TheThing

The Atik Website does not mention Windows 7 which is a little concerning. however I have used a 16ic on Windows 7 without any issues.

TheThing

HUH...I have been using a 4000 and 314L on Win7 since Win7 was launched

And you must be able to set longer exposures to take the advantage of the bigger dynamic range and to counterbalance higher read out noise. If you can do that - cam with bigger well will work better for you (in theory).

And about 4000 squares... CMV4000 - CMOSIS - this square is cool too. I wonder how it would perform as a cooled long exposure camera.

You mean like 40 minute sub frames :-)... which I do on the 4000.. as you've seen

My experience of Atik was that did not support anything passed XP. That came directly from Atik.

It was, however, a question to which the answer appears to be yes it does. Not entirely sure why everyone has got so het up on a question!

TheThing

You mean like 40 minute sub frames :-)... which I do on the 4000.. as you've seen

40 min are evil... new cams should allow to lower the exposure time. Even lower dark current + even lower read out noise like in sCMOS (~1 e-) or EMCCD (< 1 e-).

My experience of Atik was that did not support anything passed XP. That came directly from Atik.

It was, however, a question to which the answer appears to be yes it does. Not entirely sure why everyone has got so het up on a question!

TheThing

Erm, I have tested Atik cameras, reviewed Atik cameras, and that statement has not been the case for a long time... if they didn't update a URL, fair enough, but I've not had any issue with their software support since day 1... and any hardware or software issues, people like Rui have been on the case faster than a speeding bullet

40 min are evil... new cams should allow to lower the exposure time. Even lower dark current + even lower read out noise like in sCMOS (~1 e-) or EMCCD (< 1 e-).

40 min subs were for an experiment on M27, usually 10-15 is my maximum...unless needs must :-)

Those are very small pixels. Will work best with very short focal lengths which should allow a decent FOV despite the small chip but...small pixels give a big sensitivity hit whatever the QE. You could bin at longer focal lengths I suppose.

If I had a Sony 285 chipped cam I wouldn't be in a hurry to change. The camera design looks great.

A well informed post from Ian, there. I have two Atik 4000s here and am often surprized by how few seem to be in circulation. You can easily get away with 1.25 filters because of the square chip and that brings the cost right down. Since I have no significant LP the dynamic range of the camera is a real bonus.

A plea; why can't manufacturers just give us the chip dimensions in mm per side, plus diagonal? This is the most obvious way to present the info. The measurement on a side needs to go into your planetarium to model the image you'll get and the diagonal tells you whether or not it fits in your telescope's image circle.

Inches are dead and sides in pixels need transforming via pixel size into chip dimensions, which is surely ridiculous, no?

Anyway, one of these and a Hyperstar... Very nice.

Olly

Hell of a camera though...! I'd love a OSC one to augment the mono..
Ditto...! (Apologies for this being a little off topic, but do you lose much going for the 4000LE version - Is Water cooling and a case worth the extra £275?)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks nice ..like the idea of hyperstar/faststar silhouette , I take it these new generation cameras are 100% compatible with modern windows 7 operating systems both 32 & 64bit OS... unlike the 'new' 383L+ which is not unless you hack your way around it.. (ie: not plug and play ) My modern windows 7 64 bit lappy wont recognise either my 314L+ or 383L cameras..

Thankfully I have an 'old' NC10 lap top with XP on it..

Archived